Tampa Bay builder wanted!

I am a complete novice when it comes to gun conversions and metalworking. I was hoping someone in the Tampa Bay area (or up to 2 hours away) was willing to help me convert my Saiga 7.62 to an AK style rifle. I don't have many tools, or even the right parts yet; I guess I need the advice of someone who has experience and the right tools in this type of thing. Let me know if you can help, we can work out the details.

Thanks in advance!

Have you read the Tech Section under the Guestbook area of the forum? LOTS of conversion info there for you, and you will see that it is not all that difficult if you wish to try it on your own.

I read through many guides, seems to be more than I am able to do. I know I will screw it up if left to myself. I'd rather have another do it, and myself either watch or do some actual hands-on. But on the other hand, I do not want to send it to a shop and run up a large bill. I can spare some cash to a helpful fellow, and I would much prefer that they walk me through step-bt-step.

Have you read the Tech Section under the Guestbook area of the forum? LOTS of conversion info there for you, and you will see that it is not all that difficult if you wish to try it on your own.

I read through many guides, seems to be more than I am able to do. I know I will screw it up if left to myself. I'd rather have another do it, and myself either watch or do some actual hands-on. But on the other hand, I do not want to send it to a shop and run up a large bill. I can spare some cash to a helpful fellow, and I would much prefer that they walk me through step-by-step.

Believe there are a number of forum members in Florida. Hopefully one of them will see your post and be able to give a helping hand then. Good luck!

I am a complete novice when it comes to gun conversions and metalworking. I was hoping someone in the Tampa Bay area (or up to 2 hours away) was willing to help me convert my Saiga 7.62 to an AK style rifle. I don't have many tools, or even the right parts yet; I guess I need the advice of someone who has experience and the right tools in this type of thing. Let me know if you can help, we can work out the details.

Thanks in advance!

you only need a drill and some type of rotary tool, a hammer would also help

A Tromix basic conversion is, I believe, only about $100 more than the retail cost of all the parts.

Small price for perfection, imo.

How much is that?

18.95 for Tapco SAW PG

34.99 for G2 Single Hook TG

10.79 for retaining plate (optional?)

50-something for a buttstock

6.99 PG screw and bushing

Total = ~$122 + ~$20 shipping = $142

So if I can send my Saiga to a professional shop to become converted for less than $250 total, I would do it.

Tromix basic conversion is $350. Parts are less than $150. Where did that extra $200 go? Plus, I would be without my rifle for several days., not to mention the shipping both ways...

Edited by hellgrün-K

Well, here's a "complete" price comparison for you. The basic standard folding stock/pistol grip conversion parts are as follows:

ACE internal receiver block $35

ACE Buttstock $65

ACE Folding Mechanism $60

Freight $8

Tapco Pistol grip $25

Tapco G2 FCG $45

Trig/Hamr retaining spring $4

Freight $8

Total Parts Cost $250

With a Tromix conversion, all the extra holes are welded up and blended out. There is no "adapter" used to mount the stock, rather a factory receiver back plate is welded in, and there are no screws and nuts holding the trigger guard in place. The barrel is cut down and gas ports resized, if required, and the mag well is adjusted for 8rd mags if required. Any Russian assembly screwups are repaired and the gun is sand blasted and bake-on moly resin applied.

I think you'll find that's a pretty good value for a 100 bucks

*EDITED TO ADD: Dude I'm not trying to sell you a gun, but for a guy with no skills or tools I think we are a valid way to go.

Edited by BobAsh
LOL Joe I didn't see that...actually I just cut & pasted the whole thing from one of Tony's posts.

fair enough...just trying to clarify....so you guys could ship me a converted S-12 for christmas since i was a good boy...right?

:angel:

Thanks BobAsh, but no thanks.

I do want to convert a Saiga, eventually, but I am not ready yet. I want this first one to go smoothly but also be a hands-on learning experience. The best way for this is to find a friendly Floridian that can show me the ropes.... It won't take more than a half-day and will also save me money.

But I do applaud your salesmanship. :)

Fair enough, bro. I'm sure some money can be saved, plus the fun of doing yourself.

As far as salesmanship goes, well, I got a laugh out of that...although I "officially" work for Tromix, it's mainly as a consultant. I posted the above because I thought it was good advise. Since the backlog on conversions is now about 4 months, I dont think Tony is hurting for work.

Best of luck, but in case it doesn't go as well as you hope, we fix botched conversions every week.