Saiga .308 Conversion to Pistol Grip Configuration

1. Screw the shepherd's hook this is WAY better. Trust me it is worth the 12 bucks. I don't see why this wasn't done in the first place instead of the hook. The retaining plate is so much easier to deal with.

2. Use a grinding wheel for the dremel. They are green or brownish in color. Then when you are done buff it up with a sanding wheel and a polishing wheel (with a polishing compound) to make it nice and smooth.

3. The basic hammer spring is what I used. No need to replace it really.

4. That picture above is the bold hold open spring. You need it if you want to use the BHO that comes with the rifle.

Edited by reoiv

ok there is a forward facing hook and a rear facing hook.

when i hold my trigger down and pull the bolt carrier back,the rear hook engages.

when i let go of the trigger the hammer moves a little bit forward and is caught by the forward hook.

is this the way it oughta be?

please say yes!

ok there is a forward facing hook and a rear facing hook.

when i hold my trigger down and pull the bolt carrier back,the rear hook engages.

when i let go of the trigger the hammer moves a little bit forward and is caught by the forward hook.

is this the way it oughta be?

please say yes!

YES! :super:

Another thing that takes some time, but isn't part of the conversion per se: Material needs to be added to the safety to make it longer, so if you don't have access to pieces of metal to cut, you have to use JB Weld, which means putting on a drop and then waiting overnight for it to cure. Try to put on too much and it just runs down the side. Rinse, repeat three or more times. So a conversion can take several days for actual completion even though the trigger guard/trigger group is the big issue.

Hello

I used the stock, un-modified safety with my RSA FCG on my late-model S.308 and the safety functions fine. Is this mod. only required for the G2 FCG?

I scored a BJB safety lever for my current S12 bulid, and they look like a good idea. Haven't mounted it yet to actually try it out....

respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Hello

I used the stock, un-modified safety with my RSA FCG on my late-model S.308 and the safety functions fine. Is this mod. only required for the G2 FCG?

Correct. For me it was worth saving 50 bucks to do a little mod work on the trigger and safety.

i dont know if i will use it or not.

it is kinda a pain .

i think i will just cut a notch in the lever instead.

It isn't that bad to get the BHO in if you have a twist tie or string.

Slide it in when you put your hammer in.

Then place the spring inside with a twist tie or string around it and out through the bottom hole that the lever pops out.

Then put when you slide in your trigger pin pull the string down so it can go through it and under the back half of the lever.

Assemble the rest of the gun and bam you have a BHO built in.

The only draw back to that vs the notch is that it can ding your finger when firing.

The draw back to a notch is if the gun is jostled it will drop and the bolt carrier will slam home.

Both work fine though.

i dont know if i will use it or not.

it is kinda a pain .

i think i will just cut a notch in the lever instead.

It isn't that bad to get the BHO in if you have a twist tie or string.

Slide it in when you put your hammer in.

Then place the spring inside with a twist tie or string around it and out through the bottom hole that the lever pops out.

Then put when you slide in your trigger pin pull the string down so it can go through it and under the back half of the lever.

Assemble the rest of the gun and bam you have a BHO built in.

The only draw back to that vs the notch is that it can ding your finger when firing.

The draw back to a notch is if the gun is jostled it will drop and the bolt carrier will slam home.

Both work fine though.

thanks again.

yep it just took a few minutes.

all that is left is the safety mod. it only needs to be about 1/32 or so doesnt it?