Ultimaks and heat transfer

So how bad is the heat transfer between the barrel and the optic? The reason I ask is that I have just put one on a Saiga .223 and my son plans to use it in an upcoming 3 gun match, later this month. Is the heat transfered from the barrel, or does the gas tube get that hot? Eric wants to put his optic as far forward as possible, will that help heat disipation.

My gut feeling is that it is not a problem. Yes, I have seen Imperials posts about it. I think there may have been other contributing factors to his failure then just the heat issue, but I could be wrong.

Case in point....I had an EO Tech fail TWICE on a 22LR rifle. It was repaired once and failed a second time. Is the EO Tech a weak piece of shit? That one was. But I don't think that is the norm.

Tony

And you may wonder what and Spanish guy is doing shooting

with a bunch of gringos in the hard land of America, I wonder some

times too.

Hey, Compadre, that's just the American Dream - a bunch of friends, living in a free republic, who can go out & pop off some rounds, without worrying about what other folks think...

;>)

And you may wonder what and Spanish guy is doing shooting

with a bunch of gringos in the hard land of America, I wonder some

times too.

Hey, Compadre, that's just the American Dream - a bunch of friends, living in a free republic, who can go out & pop off some rounds, without worrying about what other folks think...

;>)

Thanks man.

• 1 month later...

I have smoked the oil numerous times out of my SAR1's barrel with the ultimak installed. check zero once in a while until it is "in the right spot", like the documentation suggests you do. if you plan on using it past 50 yards in 3 gun, definately heat it up a couple of times under fire to make sure the part is installed where your gun wants it.

mine SEEMS like it gets a bit hotter, as per the more heat transferrable alloy, but in my vented ultimak that I use, that seems to counteract the alloy and mass heat transfer problem, nevermind the actual mass of the part vs the factory gas tube sheet metal thing... I really seem to observe and think that most of the heat is from the barrel and friction of that high speed metal threading down the rifling than the excess vented gases to propel the action or bullet with. if you run into a heat issue, put vents in the tube. face them down a bit so that the vented gasses dont affect your vision in low light. your zero MAY change until you have it clamped down in the right spot. mine did, and has stayed the same since my last adjustment a couple years ago.

also, like one of vjor's comments, the better halo sights and dots sit lower than the cheap ones.

My next Ultimak experiment is to get a pistol scope up there, I plan to use high profile rings that should minimize heat transfer from the barrel to the scope. Both are ordered and should be in this week. Should it not work I plan to put a long eye relief set up on one of my Mauser rifles so it's not going to be a waste.