Which is better. .223 or 7.62x39 for SHTF rifle?

I think GOB hit the nail on the head. A .22 or a .410 are great for survival.

If it is total armageddon, a .22 will still be a great thing to have, and for full size calibers you just need enough to get you to your next armed target and take his weapon/ammo. All in all, I say stock up on whatever caliber you choose, and you shouldnt have to worry. I try to keep 1000 rnds of 7.62, a brick of .22 and 50 rnds of .45 at all times. Really you should already be ready, shouldnt you? You could go back and forth for days about which gun/caliber, but anything is better than nothing. Really the threat IMO, is nat. disaster or a terrorist bombing a power plant. If you live in a city, youre pretty much screwed anyway.

I like 7.62 because its bit cheaper (usually), and in New England the 30/30 has done everything hunting wise, the 7.62x39 is very similar ballistically to the 30-30. There just arent many shots around here over 100yds anyway so added range is useless.

This has also made me fond of the .410 as a shotgun is a nice thing to have for critters, although in true survival you'd be better off to snare and trap small stuff while you hunt the big stuff, but being able to take something on the fly for a quick meal is quite an advantage too. The .410 ammo is also light enough to carry lots of it, but its expensive and a compromise in terms of power/range with slugs and pattern density with shot. It is adequate though for either task. So in the end everything is a compromise, just be ready with whatever you have.

Skills and planning are far more important than calibers and weaponry, but it is fun to dream about this stuff.

Edited by chris410

I think you need a bug out plan and dig in plan. If possible, I want to stay put. I know the area, have all my supplies, could join up with like minded neighbors. Then it's 12ga. & .40 sidearm for the suburban ranges I would face.

If it's bug out, you need to travel light-even if you're driving. You need water, food, fuel, shelter, etc , etc. By the time I get all that in quantity to support wife, three childeren, and myself, room is going to be precious. I won't be taking my whole battery with ammo for each. Then it would be rifle/sidearm/BUG gun.

Caliber is 7.62x39. better penetration. It's mainstream now, every big sports store I go to stocks it . IIRC 300 rounds or 5.56 is 9lbs & x39 is 11.5lbs I'm not counting on getting into any extended firefights or restocking in the near term. No military or LEO is going to give you any ammo. And I'm not going to be killing anyone or searching dead bodies for weapons unless I'm truly desperate.

I plan being as low profile & non-menacing looking as possible. You won't know I'm armed until its too late. :chris:

Edited by Paladin
I'm not counting on getting into any extended firefights or restocking in the near term. No military or LEO is going to give you any ammo. And I'm not going to be killing anyone or searching dead bodies for weapons unless I'm truly desperate.

:

Well wheres the fun in that? LOL

I'm not counting on getting into any extended firefights or restocking in the near term. No military or LEO is going to give you any ammo. And I'm not going to be killing anyone or searching dead bodies for weapons unless I'm truly desperate.

:

Well wheres the fun in that? LOL

I know, I know I'm a big pussy :rolleyes:

There's the hardcore American survivalist in me that would want to go "Rambo" in a SHTF situation. I spent the money on weapons and training dammit! Now's my chance to kick some ass! :ded:

Then there's the husband and father of three that wants to hide his family and avoid any conflict that could get them hurt. :unsure:

I'm torn!!

Edited by Paladin