Remember the mag cinch I assembled?

When I went to the range the recoil actually caused the free magazine to lose shells! It was awkward to charge the weapon when switching from the spent magazine to the loaded one. The side by side cinch was not a good idea, but thats why we practice. It lets us know what works and what doesnt. Maybe if I cince them some other way it will work better.

When I went to the range the recoil actually caused the free magazine to lose shells! It was awkward to charge the weapon when switching from the spent magazine to the loaded one. The side by side cinch was not a good idea, but thats why we practice. It lets us know what works and what doesnt. Maybe if I cince them some other way it will work better.

It's all trial and error. I don't know which cinch you are using, but my steel $5.99 "jungle" clamps woork great in competition. Keep at it. You'll figure it out.

I don't think I ever saw your work Az. Not sure how doing it differently would help in recoil unless you are orienting mags differently.

I've got a bunch thru mine (~1K). I used the clamps from black jack and a pair of factory 8's. Mostly bird (for competition), but have run buck and slug without issue. Don't know if I've ever fired a 3" shell.

I've never had a shell try and leave.

I like my rig, it gets a lot of looks. But I've thought about abandoning it, it only saves you tiny amount of time in a mag swap (I load off my belt) but it is a little harder to seat the second mag. It's pretty heavy. Not much difference in the end. One thing is nice ... it's easier to carry a bunch of ammo when you start with 18 on the gun. If I ever run against a stage that requires loading back and forth between bird and slug then this would be the way to go. And if I ever come up against a 100 round stage (as has been hinted at a local match) I would be much better off with them!!!!

Yeah I cinched up my two agp mags with one of buffertech's. It sits right inbetween the middle double band. I only use winchester super x at 1600 fps and I was quite amazed to see one of my shells take a dive lol. Ive never shot competitively but 100 rounds sounds like a blast.

DVC00424Medium.jpg

Have you shot with it like that? I had to keep the left side a little lower (half inch?) to allow for consistent ejection when the right mag was in the gun.

Competitive shooting is a blast, no doubt!

I created a side match for the local IDPA group. I had a course with min 31 rounds. Of course there were comments ("hmmm, wonder if the MD is an open class shooter"), but no one walked off the course without a smile.

Side note, Yes, I set up stages that benefit an open shotgun (as well as some shorter stuff that is pretty nuetral, even some speed shoots with no reloads). IMO, If you are going to recognize an open class, you should allow it to show it's strength, not come up with artificial ways to reign it in. I'll never forget the first time I faced a 25 round pistol stage at an USPSA match. I was a noob, and the first time an open shooter went thru without a reload, my jaw hit the dirt! Had it been a 30 round stage, he'd have the same number of reloads as a limited class shooter, but this was set up to the strenghts of the open class (rest of the match wasn't so much, there was a 20 round array for limited in one stage).

I don't know if I personally can run a 100 round stage in my match. The logistics of getting it done are tough. Shooters who shoot and leave would leave us short handed, reseting steel and replacing clays would be a chore in between shooters, and I'd imagine the shooting time for something like this would be ~ 6 - 12 minutes per shooter! For instance, the 31 round stage had 1.5 to 3 minute times, and this would be slower as they would have to eventually load from pockets and fatigue is likely to set in. Also, explaining the stage and having shooters memorize it could be a trick. Not impossible, but not a walk in the part either.

I do hope the club that hinted at it will actually do it;)