Opinions please...

I'm looking to get a muzzle brake for my Saiga 5.56 and I've seen that Dinzag has .30 cal AK47 style brakes for sale. For those of you that have these on your guns, how well do they work, being that they are .30cal? I'm more concerned about muzzle climb than recoil as my rifle has little recoil as it is, but less recoil is always nice. Let me know your opinions on them. Thanks

They are great!

They look cool, and slip right on, and lock in place with set screws.

The only thing better, is to cut off the barrel sleeve, thread the barrel and put a threaded brake on... This saves you a LOT of time and effort for the same end result.

:smoke:

Thanks Mike :up:

Yes there is an improvement using any brake for that matter.

The '74 styled one do what they're supposed to do and help with recoil/reduced muzzle climb allowing for quicker follow up shots. They are louder to the shooter though.

They give you a great double tap capibility, my 15 year old son and I shoot in 3 gun and most of the time you have to double tap your target, I have one of Dinzags on my x39 and I have a threaded one from Blackjackbuffers.com on my son's .223 both really help, and you can notice a great improvement v not having one. Using an aim dot I put 30 rounds in the down zero area of an IDPA target at 35 yards, no big deal but they were all double and tripple taps. That is pretty good. I was using Dinzag's set screw type muzzle break.

Indy don't forget it saves the potiential of a major screw up pun intended v using the set screw type. On the set screw I did mark where the screws were going to be and drilled a divet into the shroud, then a generous amount of lock tight both on the shroud that was going to be covered by the muzzle break and on the screws and then getting them very tight.

Yes Indeed!!! Without knowing what you are doing, the potential for screwing up a thread job can be severe...

And when it comes to slip on brakes... I will reiterate what topmaul notes...

Dimple where the setscrew will seat, a MUST... if you really want it to be secure!

Locktite... When it comes to slip on brakes... LOCKTITE is your friend! :up:

the potential for screwing up a thread job can be severe... :up:

I'm not proud of it, but I've 'screwed up' a couple of thread jobs (neither one using a thread-alignment-tool). Fortunately, in both cases I was able to correct my mistakes, by going to a smaller thread, and being more careful. Having been there, let me just say, you definitely don't want to 'screw up a thread job!'

;>)

Locktite... When it comes to slip on brakes... LOCKTITE is your friend! :up:

"Your 'friend?'" UNLESS you are trying to get a brake off, that is, without messing it up, in which case the Locktite might require the use of a torch, and an hour or two of extra time, and maybe even refinishing the brake. Some friend!

;>)

(All of which means that Locktite generally does what it is supposed to, if you apply it as directed, to clean parts... ;>)

PS, and FWIW - When mounting a slip-on muzzle device, ALWAYS remember the dimples AND the Locktite! I've read about more guys than I can remember, who neglected one (or both), and ended up "launching" their muzzle device down the range on the 1st or 2nd shot. Remember: if this happens to you, the term to use (when you tell us about it here ;>) will be "launched," as in: "I forgot to drill dimples for the set screws on my beautiful, new, dinzag slip-on brake, and 'launched' it down the range."

Believe it or not, 9 out of 10 guys that "launch" their muzzle devices while shooting at the range NEVER FIND THEM AGAIN (God's honest truth). If you don't want to drill the set-screw dimples AND use Locktite (I recommend 'red'), make sure you paint your muzzle device blaze orange, so you will have some chance of finding it when you "launch" it. Even then, it won't be guaranteed...

;>)