Pro mag in a Saiga fits but not working

Pro mag fits but does not feed ammo .Does anyone have info on getting this to work?I would like to have a 30rd mag instead of the factory 10rd mag.

In order for the Saiga to reliably feed from regular AK mags, you have to install a bullet guide, but doing this to a stock saiga is illegal. You need to do a US parts conversion to reduce the number of foreign parts before you can legally add the bullet guide.

If you're talking about the standard AK mag, it's not supposed to work in the Saiga. In fact, it's not supposed to fit easily, but some Saigas are built in such a way that regular AK mags will physically lock in place, though they still won't feed correctly. Chalk this up to manufacturing variances.

Thanks for the info .I just bought this 7.62x39 where do I get a bullet guide ?I also purchased a folding stock from Cope dist.My next question is what would be the easiest parts to replace to make it legal.Like if I put the bullet guide in and the folder on.

Edited by rolen
...Or you can skip the pain in the ass FCG swap and use US made mags (only)

Get your bulet guide from dinzag.

Using US made mags for compliance is actually an option now that these are available, but just remember that if you go that route you can't ever even OWN any foreign made AK mags because once inserted into the gun it would become an illegal configuration, and owning foreign mags and such a rifle could be seen as constructive intent.

...Or you can skip the pain in the ass FCG swap and use US made mags (only)

Get your bulet guide from dinzag.

Using US made mags for compliance is actually an option now that these are available, but just remember that if you go that route you can't ever even OWN any foreign made AK mags because once inserted into the gun it would become an illegal configuration, and owning foreign mags and such a rifle could be seen as constructive intent.

i doubt they would ever push that especially if you own regular aks that use the foreign mags. we're not talking ar15's with m16 FCG.

• 6 months later...
Thanks for the info .I just bought this 7.62x39 where do I get a bullet guide ?I also purchased a folding stock from Cope dist. My next question is what would be the easiest parts to replace to make it legal. Like if I put the bullet guide in and the folder on.

Instead of changing the gas piston which will need staking after you change it and may not be the same exact length, I would change the rear stock with a US made one and if you want a folder the Tapco one works well. Just make sure you have the steel pin in your folder. I had the plastic pin in mine and it broke the first time I went to the range with it. I called Tapco and they sent me a replacement pin which I installed and now the folder is reliable.

You'll need to replace the fire control group with a US made one and a US made pistol grip. For the foreign made magazines, I also got Tapco's magazine followers and Falcon Arms magazine floor plates just to make sure I'm complying with the USC922r so I don't get sodomized in a federal pen for the next ten years.

Edited by uzitiger

At a recent gun show, I bought one of the new Thermold AK mags. It's great, but I noticed something interesting. It doesn't have the cutout area in the front, so the fron tof these mags emulates the Saiga mag. My Saiga is one of the early ones where the AK mags will fit and lock in place, but will not feed reliably without the bullet guide. I haven't had a chance to try the thermold mag in the Saiga, but I did rack some dummy rounds by hand and they all fed properly and I haven't installed the bullet guide in my rifle yet. I might try it out tomorrow with live ammo. If I do, I'll post results.