DIY: Forend furniture fitting

So I picked up a Saiga last thurs (2/15), did the basic conversion that evening and Friday (moved the trigger group, fabbed and installed a bullet guide) and test-fired it Friday afternoon.

The front end still didn't look right so I began looking for a solution. Of course, I could press off my front sight and gas block, which is a PITA, so I began looking for other options.

Most regular AKM gas tubes will fit .223 and 7.62x39 Saiga's, so I just used an extra that I had--fit with no problems.

I didn't have the $$ for Dinzag's adaptor so I had to adapt and overcome. Don't get me wrong--if I had the money on hand I would purchase it outright but I simply don't, plus it helps that I'm a mechanical engineering major. No doubt his mount is of a much much higher quality than my cobbled together shit.

So I took a spare handguard collar (left over from a pistol build), cut the top off with an angle grinder then widened the whole deal with a dremel tool so it would fit on a Saiga. Then I cut down the sides of the extension with a bench grinder. I found a little piece (from a FAL I think) that was threaded on one end to a metric #4 screw. I put the whole shabang on the rifle and it worked great--util the threads on the little FAL collar stripped (there's less than 1 full turn on it) so I backed it up with a nut.

Here are pics from three angles:

mod3.jpg

mod2.jpg

mod1.jpg

Anywho, the finishes don't match but since I'm going to Gunkote the whole thing so it won't matter for long. The screw will also be trimmed down a bit but honestly it's hard to tell.

Here is the end result:

saiga1.jpg

Anywho, I hope this can save some of you guys some $$ to put towards magazines and ammo.

Nice improvising :up:

If you have a welder or know someone who does, tack weld them together.

You could also possibly notch the top of the barrel to make a recess for the

screw so the assembly won't slide forward.

Both good ideas!

I only have a spot welder on had but I have a friend that does some welding work here and there. Also, a good idea with making a notch--I'm kind of concerned that the hadguard will force it's way forward during live fire.

So I picked up a Saiga last thurs (2/15), did the basic conversion that evening and Friday (moved the trigger group, fabbed and installed a bullet guide) and test-fired it Friday afternoon.

How do you like the folding stock? I've got one on my .223 Saiga conversion (which, FWIW, includes 7 'compliance' parts ;>), and it's definitely 'growing on me' (in fact, I love it ;>)...

I didn't have the $$ for Dinzag's adaptor so I had to adapt and overcome. Don't get me wrong--if I had the money on hand I would purchase it outright but I simply don't, plus it helps that I'm a mechanical engineering major. No doubt his mount is of a much much higher quality than my cobbled together shit.

So I took a spare handguard collar (left over from a pistol build), cut the top off with an angle grinder then widened the whole deal with a dremel tool so it would fit on a Saiga. Then I cut down the sides of the extension with a bench grinder. I found a little piece (from a FAL I think) that was threaded on one end to a metric #4 screw. I put the whole shabang on the rifle and it worked great--util the threads on the little FAL collar stripped (there's less than 1 full turn on it) so I backed it up with a nut.

Great idea! That part looks like an FAL sling swivel band. Gunplumber (at Arizona Resonse Systems: http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/ ) suggested at the FALfiles Forums (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21952) that the thread for the swivel band screw might be "#8x40" - but there are metric swivel bands, commonwealth swivel bands, and Israeli swivel bands, so I frankly don't know. FWIW, the metric FALs use many screws/bolts with an 'English' thread pitch (possibly a result of the US completely rebuilding European industry, at American taxpayers' expense, after WWII).

Bottom line: the result looks great, the cost was right, and both speak highly of your WECSOG skills, Compadre!

;>)

Edited by Bad Bob