Per ATF: flash hidders and muzzle brakes identical?

I am trying to figure out if a flash hidder and muzzle brake are the same relative to the list of restricted parts on imported semiautos per current ATF regulations.

Can someone explain this?

I would like to get a 16 inch barrel saiga with a muzzle brake. I assume that I would have to exchange at least 4 of the restricted bad parts for good USA parts so I could use a high capacity magazine.

I just joined this forum and like what I see.

I am impressed with AK's and am thinking of getting a .308 saiga. My goal is a close range hard hitting selfdefense rifle. The 7.62 x 39 for penetration tests is inferior to the 7.62x51 nato round. Assume for both rifles that AP ammo will not be used. I was thinking of a CETME but became concerned about low standards at Century.

There are lots of explanations on this forum. Here's one written by me:

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ak47/2494...legalities.html

There are many folks here who can give excellent explanations of the import regs.

G3 I read your referenced post and saw no mention of a muzzle brake. I am asking if the ATF sees a difference between the two.

Thanks,

• 5 months later...

As far as I can tell, all you need are 4 compliant parts and a US made M.B. or F.H.

There are no more restrictions on either of them or any of the other EVIL features as long as your weapon is 922r compliant. ( no more than 10 imported parts)

If i am wrong please correct me....................

Since joining this forum and reading about laws and such I've come to this general rule of thumb

when it comes down to the two choices, the atf will use the one that screws you

Roger that! When the anti gun miscreants find out they both screw on the end of a rifle which makes it LOOK like something the military or the hollywood, hippocrite, F*s would use, it will become a prohibited device. Remember the AWB was and shall forever be ONLY about cosmetics. The truth to these elitist bastards means nothing, only THEIR and not YOUR opinion\rights matter.

Both hiders and brakes/comps are considered muzzle devices.

The question is, does the secretary of treasury think a brake is unsporting (like a hider is) on whatever day. That's who's badged with the power to define in by their own opinion. If the brake is deemed to be unsporting, then the rifle would be as legal as one with a high cap mag in it.

when it comes down to the two choices, the atf will use the one that screws you.

Well said! Be on the safe side, make it a US made firearm and do whatever you want to it.

Edited by dinzag