Galil mags from CDNN!!

:up: I ordered (10) NIW Galil orilites and (2) NIW 12 steel mags from CDNN.The Orlites were 14.99 and the 12 rd mags were 9.99.All came in today and each are brand new as advertised.These mags are for a new S-223 20" to 74' conversion to take unmodified Galil mags.

I wanted to see how the mags fit in my other S-223 that I had converted last year.The Steel mags lock right in my Saiga-223/AK-102 but the Orlites did not even come close to fitting the mag well.My conversion takes Wieger,Bulgarian Waffles,and Bulgarian 74' mags.I'm going to test run these tomorrow.If they feed fine,I'll order some 50 rd Galil mags for it.muwahahahahaha! :devil:

Right now I have (10)Blk 30 rd Bulgarian Waffles,(3)Smoke 20 rdrs,(2)Blk Arsenal 5 rdrs,and (11)Blk Bulgarian 74 mags.I can't really tell any difference with the steel Galil mags and the Bulgarian waffle mags.The test in the morning will tell me if these will work or not.

Hey Tex , be aware that the metal band around the top of the steel Galil mag's will catch on the inside of the magwell if you get offcenter pulling the mag out . If I was running steel Galil mag's , I'd seriously consider grinding a bevel at the bottom of the re-enforcing band. at least knock the 90* off it .

Ordered couple more orlites today from CDNN......amongst other items.....

read in some post that Ohio Rapid fire was supposed to have a shitload of used coming in soon.....anyone heard of this?

Yeah Todd from ORF posted on Galil Talk that he was doing that...

The 12 mags fit right in my first S-223 conversion but there were a few feed issues.The 5th or so round would feed at real sharp angle.I'm not sure why this happened.I would clear the jam lock the mag back in and charge it and it would feed for a few more rounds then repeat the failure.

I'm going to try some other test with these mags.

Any update on your feeding problem? I just got my steel 12 rounder in last night. it fits great but sits low--lower than the orlites. let me know if you find a modification to make them work reliable. i'll do the same.

thanks

Disregard, i compared the steel, 12-rounder to the orlites and figured out why you would be having feeding problem--the bolt doesn't catch enough of the case head because the rear of the mag sits too low. i also found corroborating evidence in Dinzag's mag document.

Dinzag, can you modify the steel, 12-rounders to make them sit higher? would this result in the angle being too sharp to feed reliably? i really would like a 10-12 round steel mag.

thanks.

Edited by sled
Any update on your feeding problem? I just got my steel 12 rounder in last night. it fits great but sits low--lower than the orlites. let me know if you find a modification to make them work reliable. i'll do the same.

thanks

Disregard, i compared the steel, 12-rounder to the orlites and figured out why you would be having feeding problem--the bolt doesn't catch enough of the case head because the rear of the mag sits too low. i also found corroborating evidence in Dinzag's mag document.

Dinzag, can you modify the steel, 12-rounders to make them sit higher? would this result in the angle being too sharp to feed reliably? i really would like a 10-12 round steel mag.

thanks.

Dinzag can provide more expert-type advice, but I got my steel Galil mags to feed 100% reliably, not by making them sit higher, but by removing some material from the inside of the feed lips so the cartridges could rise up higher inside the magazine. With my mags, the modification also let the front end of each cartridge pop up a bit, so it had a better approach angle to the chamber. Check here, & look under #4:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=14852

The work will go faster if you use a small grinding tip on your dremel to build most of the angle, and then just use a hand file to smooth things out. Just don't let the distance between the two feed lips increase...

FYI, and FWIW, and obviously 'your mileage may vary'...

;>)