Proud new Saiga .223 owner...

Where is the best place to get it converted??

My personal recommendation would be 'your own garage' (but that's just me ;>).

There are a number of very highly skilled and reputable professional gunsmiths who post here, and I am sure you would be satisfied with a conversion done by any of them. If you are set on having a professional conversion (and there's nothing at all wrong with having an expert build the rifle you want), you might want to start a new thread, with a title something like "Who does professional Saiga conversions?" That might get you a quicker response.

One thing you might want to check on would be location. If one of the professional smiths is within driving distance of where you live, you could discuss things with him, and then drive your Saiga over for a personal delivery. That way, you might be able to see some of his previous work, look over options live-and-in-person, etc. - maybe even get some range time...

Not to steal your fire...

But I got a new one today too!

I Feel like I overpaid a little bit (I found them online for 280$...) but I would have to drive a bit to get one from that store, so it's probably equal in the end.

Word of warning: I am probably going to keep it as is for a while till I get a good feel for it, then I'm doing a conversion..... At such time, this forum will be inundated with a flood of questions, both intelligent and...otherwise :angel:

I'll try and give you all warning in case you want to ditch the forums before my questions start, but I hope someone sticks around to answer them anyway (Plz Bob, plz!)

I Feel like I overpaid a little bit (I found them online for 280$...) but I would have to drive a bit to get one from that store, so it's probably equal in the end.

Word of warning: I am probably going to keep it as is for a while till I get a good feel for it, then I'm doing a conversion..... At such time, this forum will be inundated with a flood of questions, both intelligent and...otherwise :angel:

I'll try and give you all warning in case you want to ditch the forums before my questions start, but I hope someone sticks around to answer them anyway (Plz Bob, plz!)

Grats, dude.

I paid a little more than $300 for mine at a gun show but when you consider paying FFL charges and having to wait on the ones you have to order online I figure it was equal if not a better deal than ordering.

Ive decided to do my own as well! I figure I might as well since I have two saigas now so doing two conversions will justify buying some tools.

Good luck on yours! BTW this board is an excellent place to start.

Grats, dude.

I paid a little more than $300 for mine at a gun show but when you consider paying FFL charges and having to wait on the ones you have to order online I figure it was equal if not a better deal than ordering.

Ive decided to do my own as well! I figure I might as well since I have two saigas now so doing two conversions will justify buying some tools.

Good luck on yours! BTW this board is an excellent place to start.

I'll jump on the wagon as well, Purchased mine online for $256 inc. shipping (stanleys) plus $15 for the transfer, but the worst thing is the waiting game for delivery!!!! (my dealer to send ffl 2-4 days, actual shipping 3-5 days, me going to dealer to pick up 30 MIN!!)

I ordered the galil mags as well from ccdn, and when the rifle does arrive, I will order the bullet guide from dinzag (only waiting to be sure which trunion)

by the way, this will be my first ak type rifle, and I am so looking forward to it.