New Saiga - Few Questions

So in my saiga box there were a few things that I'm not exactly sure what they are. I'm assuming at this point its just cleaning supplies since its a long rod and a little cylinder that looks abrasive...it also contained a small black empty bottle, kinda like a mini canteen.

Anyone wanna give the noob a rundown on what the names/uses of these objects are?

Thanks!

I assumed as much, but hey.

I'm also curious about a small button that can be pushed in that is to the right and directly above the trigger, it seems to do nothing as far as I can tell.

Not so much a button, more a slim metal tab.

Theres also a lever up near the adjustable sight that looks like it pivots up and down, though if it DOES move it takes alot more force than I'm willing to put into it. Whats this for?

I'm also curious about a small button that can be pushed in that is to the right and directly above the trigger, it seems to do nothing as far as I can tell.

Not so much a button, more a slim metal tab.

Theres also a lever up near the adjustable sight that looks like it pivots up and down, though if it DOES move it takes alot more force than I'm willing to put into it. Whats this for?

That little lever is your bolt hold open and the other one is the gas tube release. You'll learn your way around the little doohickies. :up:

Here's a good reference for what's what: parts diagram (pretend it's a rifle)

Edited by tritium

Not to sound like a smartass but there should have also been something else in the box, your owner's manual. You need to read that cover to cover a few times before doing anything with the rifle. In fact, they even went to the trouble to stamp this on the side of your receiver, "Read Owner's Manual Before Use" :rolleyes:

Also visit the Tech Section pinned at the top of the Guestbook forum. There you will find answers to questions you don't even know you have...yet.

Not to sound like a smartass but there should have also been something else in the box, your owner's manual. You need to read that cover to cover a few times before doing anything with the rifle. In fact, they even went to the trouble to stamp this on the side of your receiver, "Read Owner's Manual Before Use" :rolleyes:

Also visit the Tech Section pinned at the top of the Guestbook forum. There you will find answers to questions you don't even know you have...yet.

Okay, yeah, you got me, there was an owners manual too ; )

I "perused" it once or twice, but I wouldnt call it an in depth read. The english is pretty mediocre and this is my first gun ever so sometimes what they are talking about is not immediately obvious. I did like the little parts guide pictures in teh back of it though, but I wish that picture also showed all the securing bolts or screws as well as the individual parts.

Not to sound like a smartass but there should have also been something else in the box, your owner's manual. You need to read that cover to cover a few times before doing anything with the rifle.

Cobra,

In all fairness to DougG I read that manual several times and it is hard to visualize what the hell they are talking about because there are no illustrations.

I've seen that older manual that has the pictures in it and I can tell you, that's not the one that came with mine. Mine is all text.

Now, Ive been around some weaponry and I've certainly read my share of technical manuals but in the end I just monkeyed around with the weapon and read posts on this forum until I figured it out.

Just my $.02

I "perused" it once or twice, but I wouldnt call it an in depth read. The english is pretty mediocre and this is my first gun ever so sometimes what they are talking about is not immediately obvious. I did like the little parts guide pictures in teh back of it though, but I wish that picture also showed all the securing bolts or screws as well as the individual parts.

Doug you need to field strip that weapon and make sure you get that cosmoline off the bolt and buffer spring. If you don't know how to field strip it download this manual that has step by step instructions. It's the same process for all the Saigas regardless of shotgun or rifle (and most AK's as well).

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/Saiga.pdf

And you mentioned that this is your first gun also? If you have the means I would suggest some kind of firearms class.

Yep this is all very true Gunny! That manual sux! lol

I came to this forum so I could figure out wtf to do with my 410 and after reading about two years worth of posts I finally got the nerve up to ask some questions. Doug that's the coolest thing about this forum, there are lots of helpful folks on here that don't mind "dumb questions". There are no dumb firearms questions only dumb people who are afraid to ask.

Yep this is all very true Gunny! That manual sux! lol

The only use I've found for that manual is to keep it in the shitter and play "What part am I?" I just start reading the instructions and when I get to a part name that I don't recognize I look it up.

And if my wife forgets to stock the toilet paper under the sink....well, I'll improvise, adapt, and walk out with clean underwear.

Doug you need to field strip that weapon and make sure you get that cosmoline off the bolt and buffer spring. If you don't know how to field strip it download this manual that has step by step instructions. It's the same process for all the Saigas regardless of shotgun or rifle (and most AK's as well).

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/Saiga.pdf

And you mentioned that this is your first gun also? If you have the means I would suggest some kind of firearms class.

Is it an absolute guarantee that some parts will be covered with "cosmoline"? I looked around online and it seems like its pretty much a hot soapy water type job to clean the parts off, but I'm leery of field stripping before I've even fired it.

How much would a firearms class cost, guesstimate?

Doug,

This weapon was designed to be disassembled and reassembled by conscripts in the Soviet Army. It is pretty basic. I was not totally unfamiliar with firearms when I bought my Saiga .223 but this was my first semi-auto. What\'s the worst thing that could happen if you try to disassemble this weapon? You can\'t damage it unless you try to use a tool to take anything off. This rifle was made to be taken down by hand in the field. The only part that requires any type of tool is the \"gas tube release\" by the front sight. One of the slots in the round container for the cleaning parts works well to lever it open.

Be bold my man!

Grab the unit by the foregrip with your left hand.

Press in the knurled button on the top rear of the receiver with your right thumb.

Lift off the receiver cover.

Push the same knurled button forward and lift up until the spring disengages from the slot.

Pull the spring assemby to the rear.

Grab the bolt assembly that the spring held in and pull it to the rear and lift out.

The rifle is disassembled!

Clean the stuff you took out with some Hoppes No. 9 and put it back together.

The trickiest part is aligning the bolt with the bolt carrier on reassembly. You will figure it out. I did. Thousands of Soviet conscripts did. You can! :super:

Be one with your Saiga, Grasshopper!

Edited by pogy
Is it an absolute guarantee that some parts will be covered with "cosmoline"? I looked around online and it seems like its pretty much a hot soapy water type job to clean the parts off, but I'm leery of field stripping before I've even fired it.

How much would a firearms class cost, guesstimate?

Doug,

You'll want to clean that cosmoline off before firing otherwise it might cause the action to stick and you can get all kinds of feeding/extraction problems. Then you might start thinking the AK's are crap and we'd hate for you to think that! :)

You can use hot soapy water if you want. But be sure to give the parts a good coating of lube (not dripping mind you) but well lubed. My definition of well lubed (in NE part of the country) is a layer of lubricant that coats the part and will leave a slight imprint of your finger if you touch it. If you take the weapon to an arid, dusty region don't use as much because it will collect dirt and sand.

The finger imprint thing is meant as a test to determine how much lubricant I have on the part. I actually try not to touch the parts I am doing the final cleaning on and handle it with a cloth. When I put it back together I have to use my fingers but I wipe off the areas I just handled with the cloth I was using to apply the lubricant.

Personally, I use WD40 as a degreaser on the cosmoline and let it sit for a while. Use an old toothbrush (or someone else's toothbrush) to scrub the parts after letting it sit. Follow that up with a good wipe with an old t-shirt, pipe cleaners, and or cotton swabs and then use CLP (aka Break Free) as the primary lubricant. From then on I use CLP to clean and lubricate all parts of the weapon.

Please keep in mind that my cleaning habits are born from years of handling weapons that are inspected and turned back into an armory. I have no experience using Hoppes however there are lots of people that use that solely for their cleaning. Members of Uncle Sam's Motorcycle Club are only authorized to use CLP or soap and water. So don't mention anything about me breaking regs with WD40 ok?

Now about your question regarding cost of firearms classes. There is a range near me that has the NRA Basic Rifle class for $90 for non-members and $75 for members. You should be able to find something similar in KY, which is probably more gun-friendly than NJ (where I live).

This lesson I'll give you for free. These are the basic rules of firearm safety. ALWAYS remember them!

1) Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.

2) Never point the muzzle at anything you do not intend to shoot.

3) Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.

4) Always be sure of your target and what's beyond.

You may have heard that there is always an exception to every rule. These don't.

If I haven't mentioned it before then I'll say it now. Welcome to the gun community!

GunnyR

This lesson I'll give you for free. These are the basic rules of firearm safety. ALWAYS remember them!

1) Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.

2) Never point the muzzle at anything you do not intend to shoot.

3) Never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.

4) Always be sure of your target and what's beyond.

You may have heard that there is always an exception to every rule. These don't.

GunnyR

I always thought it was

1.) keep your finger off the trigger

2.)keep your finger off the dam trigger

3.) keep your dam finger off the dam trigger

might just be for glock owners though

...it also contained a small black empty bottle, kinda like a mini canteen.

Actually it is a mini flask capable of holding a few shots of russias finest. Jk, :P

*Ducks* :zorro:

thats a dam good idea

The little knob just to the right of the trigger is a bolt hold open lever. Pull the bolt back, push the "knob" lever up and slowly let the bolt close. It will catch about half way forward. To release, pull the bolt back just a little and the catch will release. It does not function as a bolt hold open after the last round is fired from the mag. Older Saigas do not have this.