I recieved a catalog from HK, showing their pistols and shotguns, and its pretty neat to look at and read. When I first saw their shotgun selection I didnt seem to impressed, except that I noticed how nice the sights looked. I figured they were too expensive anyway.....

thanks to my buddy I started to look at the shotguns..... and the more I looked at the FP6, the more I liked it. And thus I'm afraid I may have to go out and buy one. My thoughts on the price were not as correct as I thought. The pump version is right around $500 and I've seen some sales as low as $350-420ish. However the semiAuto version does carry the big price tag, at around $1K in which I have to say god bless the Saiga.

Right now I've a saiga 20 ga, and love it, just wish I had picked up the 12 instead. Thus that leaves some room for another shotgun in the 12 catagory.

The other thing I wonder about, since the ban is about to end....... I wonder what will become avaible for my saiga...... a great deal of add ons could become avaible like pistol grips and 10 rd mags......

post-8-1093020268.jpg

Edited by Verson

chris- yep those are from the factory catalog. They say you can go to the HK-usa web site to order the stuff, but at the moment they have taken down their web site and are rebiliding it, thus you cant order from the web site at the moment. But there are some other places I saw some things.

I gave in, and bought my FP6 yesterday. Its sitting in my gun Cab. right next to my saiga, what a pair.

Took it clay shooting today, and had a blast. The sights are super awesome. I planned to shot some buck shot, and slugs, but it started to rain :( thus I'll have to continue shooting clays and the other rds for fun.

btw chris, which saiga did you get? hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Verson

I have the saiga 410, I really wanted the 12 but the shop had the 410 in stock and after handling it I couldnt wait and had to take it home, I still plan on getting the 12 though. The fp6 I saw had the carbon fiber treatment, very attractive, and the price was more than reasonable @ $400, for an HK thats incredible!!! I really like the ghost rings and am currently torn between a 12g or 7.62 for my next purchase.

mossberg 500...FP-6...saiga 12...ak... decisions decisions decisions

• 2 weeks later...
Took it clay shooting today, and had a blast. The sights are super awesome. I planned to shot some buck shot, and slugs, but it started to rain :( thus I'll have to continue shooting clays and the other rds for fun.

So once it started raining you took the saiga out of the cab or went home? :smoke:

The cool thing about the saiga is that it's combat proven, same reciever design they've been using since '47. I'd bet my money that the FP9 would foul in the rain.

Not the saiga, though.

verson: so didthe fp-6 put the s#$t eating grin on your face that I know the saiga 20 gave you when you first shot it?

i shoot a lot in adverse weather conditions myself, (shooting day each week roughly will NOT be interrupted for me by some water or snow),and neither AK type i have (SAR1 and S12) nor my M15 have problems when thoughroughly soaked from a downpour. it is however hellacious getting the water out of the metal afterwards, and stopping the steel from rusting. The S12 is nice because its enameled and not parkerised or blued, and because of the paint, most of the metal surfaces are sealed from moisture. When I first got the S12, I thought it was a bit cheesy, the finish, but Im growing to prefer it over parkerising. I go through about a point of fine oil a year with the rest of my guns, and the S12 has as of yet to get an oil wipe-down.

chris: get the S12 next......if you think the 410 is cool and/or fun, wait till you shoot the 12 gauge.

Well, too late, I picked up a maverick 88 (basically a no-frills mossberg 500) 12g friday, still want the s12 but I was at wal mart and the maverick was barely $160 and it was calling me so I bought it, the s12 will have to wait. But let me tell you how much better I did with the clays with the 12 instead of the .410, I was very pleased with myself. I know the s12 will be awesome once I get it but with all the accessories available for the 500's and the pg stock for one thats been collecting dust in my closet I had to get it. I swear I will be more disciplined on my next purchase and hold out for the saiga 12 or maybe the 7.62...

well as for the rain, we continued shooting for about 30 min. It wasnt the guns that worried us, we hoped the rain would stay on the light side and maybe die out, but then the lighting came. My fp6 case was soaked and wet, I wasnt happy about that.

They seemed fine, the fp6 and the mossberg 500. I dunno its also my preference that I stay dry. Heck it rains in FL almost every day during the summer. And now we have had two Hurricans. The good thing about where I live is that in north florida there has never been a recorded case of a hurrican ever hitting north florida directly. :)

Edited by Verson
The S12 is nice because its enameled and not parkerised or blued, and because of the paint, most of the metal surfaces are sealed from moisture. When I first got the S12, I thought it was a bit cheesy, the finish, but Im growing to prefer it over parkerising. I go through about a point of fine oil a year with the rest of my guns, and the S12 has as of yet to get an oil wipe-down.

Except for the springs under the adjustable sight rail. Also, you might want to watch your mags where they lock in. You can find exposed metal there, and it will rust.

Don't ask me how I know ..... :)