Does 922aply for this

You only need a bullet guide to use hi-capacity mags. If you use a hi-cap mag, you need to convert.

Pogy,

not entirely accurate......I've seen 10 round mags (metal) that need a feed ramp either built on to the mag (welded in) or a feed ramp in the gun.....so from a defensive argument point of view, there are mags to use with a saiga that are not hig cap that could be made to work with a feed ramp installed......

of course....it also works nicely for hi-cap mags as you a have pointed out.....!

Afer beating my head and finding 10 reasons why this can't be right ...you can't alter the Saiga under 922r unless you go to US made. To quote another member:

"Adding bullet guild without reducing enough foreign control parts = illegal modification.

No company dares to sell illegally modified AKs. Legally its no different than drilling out a third axis hole on an ak for a full auto conversion. A felony is a felony. Im against all the stupid gun laws, but I will not be ignorant to what I know about them"

Edited by 14427h

Two issues on magazines (1) Capacity and (2) Type. To quote me:

you still have to meet the law (922r) regarding capability to accept "large capacity military magazine(AK-47) magazine" Capable of is the issue not the size you are using. If I can snap a standard AK magazine in and it works, could be a one round or a hundred round, if it works I no longer have a sporting semiautomatic and I fail the import ban.

Edited by 14427h

A bullet guide is not a 922r part, so I see no reason why it'd be illegal to add one. For instance, aren't there factory saiga hi-cap mags that don't require the guide? Hence, it's the mag, not the guide that causes a violation.

They need a 922r sticky, everyone is looking at this. My comments are on what I found to be legal and just my opinion, I can give you a lot of reason why they are not logical but we are talking legal.

Adding bullet guild without less than 10 imported parts makes it a Saiga modificated to allow use of AK magazines. Not legal on imports.

The Saiga high capacity magazines are not legal without conversion to 10 or less US parts. I had to have it beat into me but the 1994-2004 AWB is not over on imports.

Magazine use is two issues, capacity and type. Any +10 round magazine is the same as "large capacity military magazine magazine" under 922r opinion of 1998 during the 1994-2004 AWB. ATF never changed it, still the law on imports.

Best quote is what Dog said about imports in another post :

"I think your failing to see that we are not in the post 1998 high capacity ban era.

The 98 ban still lives on til today, and therefore, you are limited to the confines of legal conversion based on all applicable laws. Gun laws are not simple sensible rules. Each one is a specific attack of a politically demonized weapon characteristic"

Edited by 14427h
They need a 922r sticky, everyone is looking at this. My comments are on what I found to be legal and just my opinion, I can give you a lot of reason why they are not logical but we are talking legal.

Adding bullet guild without less than 10 imported parts makes it a Saiga modificated to allow use of AK magazines. Not legal on imports.

The Saiga high capacity magazines are not legal without conversion to 10 or less US parts. I had to have it beat into me but the 1994-2004 AWB is not over on imports.

Magazine use is two issues, capacity and type. Any +10 round magazine is the same as "large capacity military magazine magazine" under 922r opinion of 1998 during the 1994-2004 AWB. ATF never changed it, still the law on imports.

Best quote is what Dog said about imports in another post :

"I think your failing to see that we are not in the post 1998 high capacity ban era.

The 98 ban still lives on til today, and therefore, you are limited to the confines of legal conversion based on all applicable laws. Gun laws are not simple sensible rules. Each one is a specific attack of a politically demonized weapon characteristic"

If I can jump in here just for a quick post, I would like to say I am happy this is being addressed. There are a lot of good folk out there that just do not know. Owning a hicap and actually using one is two different things. I hate to see good people with their pants down...unknowingly.

Yes , buy all the hicaps you want, just dont use them in a Saiga without US parts. And if you think this is not the law "I never hear of anyone caught on 922r" please let us know how you make out with the ATF.

Edited by 14427h
...if you think this is not the law "I never hear of anyone caught on 922r" please let us know how you make out with the ATF.

Amen. You are better off spending a few dollars up-front, most of which supports '2nd-Amendment-friendly' businesses. You DO NOT want to find yourself in the position of mortgaging your home, and cashing out your wife's retirement account, to pay for lawyers and legal expenses.

Trust me on this - just talk to dinzag, he can make sure you've got ALL of your compliance parts...

;>)