Saiga 20 shedding chrome!

Last night, cleaning my 20 and some slivers of chrome came out. The longest about 1/2" X (less than) 1/8". Has anyone else seen this? Used Hoppes #9 solvent to loosen the leading, and 20ga wire to scrub it out. Shot slugs (fosters) yesterday afternoon, ran patches through it until clean. Result of slugs in a .9 choke? The slivers seemed to have come from the area a couple of inches from the end of the firing chamber.

Thanks, KySoldier. There is no screw-in choke, that's just how the barrel is made.... .9 choke, I'm pretty sure... it's stamped on the gun. I really like shooting slugs with this one, my Saiga 12 is brutal with slugs.......... is yours a mod choke, or cyl. barrel?

Smokes

When I ordered mine from my local dealer (they didn't carry Saigas) I was told I was getting one with interchangable chokes, but when I got it, it didn't take chokes. I didn't really want them anyway on my 18in barrel ^_^

The 22" barrel models with fixed chokes seem very popular, and cheap! I see them all the time on CDNN and others.

I'm happy to say that now, my dealer carries all types of saiga shotguns and rifles :D

your s20's chrome is delaminating? well that dont sound too good man. Ive cooked my s12 barrel twice now, and havent had any problems like that from slugs....have you fired steel shot down yours? Ive also used solvents in my barrel, and nothing like that ever came out. does not sound promising

KySoldier..........

Cool, is your dealer on the internet? I forgot to add that my 20ga has the 19" (18"?) barrel, it is real accurate, but with my vision (over 30) I have to be real careful to get the slugs in the black at 50yds. Over the next year I'd like to get a couple of Saigas with cyl. or mod. chokes for more slug shooting with the PK-AV sight. Including a .410 for "guests"...........

Paper killer

Was the metal hard or soft? The slugs will leave some lead in the barrel when they are shot. If you still have the chuncks that came out, bends them in half. If they bend without snapping, it is lead. Also you could try to heat it up with a torch. If it melts real quick, it is lead. If it starts to glow, it is crome.

Thanks....Interesing thought, tomme boy. As I recall, they were quite shiny, but bent easlily, as they were quite thin, the heat and the pressure could have created the shineness, I suppose. Next time I will apply your methods to any slivers I find. Hard to believe that chrome would be that thin and come off that easily, epecially in front of the firing chamber, maybe I did not harm my gun!! Woohoo! Now if I could just get that friggin PK-AV(edit) red dot sight calibrated !!!

Smokes

Edited by Ol'smokie
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After several more trips to the range and more thorough cleanings, I'm convinced that the shiny "slivers" are lead that has been super heated just in front of the chamber. I use an aluminium rod and a brass brush, patches, etc. After cleaning the inside looks shiny and smooth. Shooting Winchester Slugs and Remington Sluggers, PK-AV Red Dot sight getting groups 9" to 6" at 50 yds.

Thanks for the input!

Smokes

Edited by Ol'smokie

3" slugs and buckshot outta the saiga are a pretty close simulation to an artillery piece going off, in my opinion. even louder are the 3" copper solid sabots. Im no recoil wuss, but even i start flinching after i fire a few of those puppies off. you should see the fire that comes out of the barrel when you bump a mag full of 3" shells off. its almost like it stacks up on itself or something.

I shoot an S12 but I quit using the Winchester foster slugs because of the extreme leading in my barrel. In fact, my local gun smith had to give me an extra stiff bronze brush to help scrub it all out.

Now I load my own using Lyman sabot slugs (the ones shaped like an airgun pellet) and place them in a shot cup. The shot cup keeps the lead off of the barrel, reduces recoil and the Lymans are more accurate than the foster style slugs, so it's a win win win situation for me.

Oh and the 3" slug loads are awsome. 2 foot flames out the end of the 19" barrel and a crack so loud that it makes the ground shake. Although after 15-20 rounds they tend to leave a mark on the shoulder.