H.R. 1022 now has 26 co-sponsors including most police organizations

Well this is what I got, not sure what he means. I agree that weapons should be kept away from criminals BUT I am not a criminal, so why can't I have them?

Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation to reinstate the ban on assault weapons. As you may know, the ban expired in the 109th Congress when then-majority leader Frist failed to schedule time for debate.

Representative Carolyn McCarthy has introduced H.R. 1022 to reinstate for ten years the criminal provisions regarding assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. The bill is pending before the House Judiciary Committee.

I support the constitutional right to bear arms. However, I also support efforts to reduce gun violence and promote firearms safety. It is imperative that assault weapons are kept out of the hands of criminals.

I will keep your thoughts in mind if companion legislation to H.R. 1022 is debated by the Senate. Please don't hesitate to write again on any other issues that concern you.

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm

you must be thinking Senate when you say 26 is half of all reps since there are two senators per state. I think there are about 400 representatives in the house. probably more since it is based on population.

If it ever reaches the floor then we (honest, responsible, patriotic, rights not privilege loving AMERICANS) are screwed.

So when do we need to start really worrying about the number of cosponsors? I mean I worry now, I right every other day. But is 26 a big number, half of all reps, or is it a drop in the bucket?

I was getting ready to comment but thought I ought to see if someone said the same thing. We all, each state, have two Senators. House Representatives are based on population. My two Senators agree with me. Unfortunately, my representative doesn't. David Price. He sends these form letters back when I write him telling me how wrong I am.

Racegal- Give him a history lesson.

The USMC is the oldest branch of the military. They were stationed on Privateers. Where did the privateers come from? The Congress contracted for civilian WARSHIPS!

Therefore there were warships in private hands. They were owned by free men. The right to own them pre-dates any state or the Constitution.

Let him explain what the "sporting purpose" of those warships was.