I'm pretty sure on some models, they came with rifled barrels, not sure if you had to request it or not, and definitely not sure if they put them on your model. I prefer the smoothbores honestly. As for taking it off, I believe it would probably be like an AK, and more of a chore than it is actually worth :(. Would be cool if they did make it with switchable barrels though. I'm sure someday, someone will come up with some idea for it, or the company will start making them that way. If not, oh well, LOL.

Mike

Here's some thoughts I've had on the subject- you dont have to have the WHOLE barrel rifled to gain the benefits of the stability- how about amputating the barrel about two inches ahead of the gas block and thread it. That way you could put a rifled barrel or a smooth bore on as easy as putting a choke in.

There are two questions I've got on this- one is would simple threading hold the extension on well enough that the pressure of the projectile going through it wouldnt loosen it?

Second, as without the barrel extension the weapon would still function as a SBS (short barreled shotgun) would there be any legal ramifications to the issue?

Worse comes to worse, the barrel is pretty thick at the reciever. I think it'd be possible to cut the barrel off BEHIND the gas block (you could replace the pin with a screw) and thread the stub so you could screw in a new barrel. You'd have to have the stub and the barrel indexed so the gas tube and the gas cut in the barrel would meet correctly.

To be honest, a gunsmith with any iota of skill and experience could do this for less than $100, plus about $75 a barrel.....

• 2 weeks later...

The barrel that is in the Saiga12 is possibly the strongest shotgun barrel aver made.It is roto-hammer forged over a mandrel of high grade ordnance steel and is tapered in thickness from the chamber in such a way as to reduce stress enough for it to handle 250% more pressure than an American style shotgun barrel.

In fact it's very difficult to buy a rifled barrel weapon in russia so many Russian gun owners buy Saiga 410s and load them up to 458 Winchester pressures using special heavy brass cases.

I would just find a gunsmith that would counterhone that tough chrome lined barrel and install a 5-8in continental rifled choke and see how it worked before I would give up my forged barrel.