Bullet guide problem?or?

I installed a K-Var bullet guide for the 223 in my Saiga..

I modified it to fit under the rivet, and put the step down side under the barrell. I had issues with it not cycling the next round, and if it did...it would not enter the barrell all the way, and get wacked in the middle by the bolt. I thought that the guide might be too high..so I ground 2 grooves...like the 5.45 guide in it..same problem...

Any ideas what this might be.

I have done 1 12 gauge and 1 7.62 with no probs..

Thanks for the help

Hmmm, hopefully someone else can speak up on this, but you may need to grind a slight feed ramp into the bottom of the chamber. Please don't take my word on it though.

More than one mag giving you the trouble? Also, are you hand cycling? If so you may not be letting the carrier go properly, you need to pull it all the way back and really let it fly.

Hmmm, hopefully someone else can speak up on this, but you may need to grind a slight feed ramp into the bottom of the chamber. Please don't take my word on it though.

More than one mag giving you the trouble? Also, are you hand cycling? If so you may not be letting the carrier go properly, you need to pull it all the way back and really let it fly.

Hand cycling is fine...I crank the bolt back as fast and hard as I can, and it will feed every time...

I forgot to mention that I cut the barrell back to 12.6 and added a bulgarian 90 degree gas blockand site...AK102 brake as well.

Gun fires fine, just will not pick up second or subsequant rounds....

The gun is short stroking. You need to open up your gas port. You must be very carefull when you do this, dont open it up to much and dont run the drill into the other side of the bore. I don't know how much you need to open it up in this case, so if I were you I wouldnt do it until I spoke with someone who did. I may be wrong for that matter... I dont think so though.

Why in Gods name did you do this? Are you aware of the legal ramifications?

Edited by ArcFault
The gun is short stroking. You need to open up your gas port. You must be very carefull when you do this, dont open it up to much and dont run the drill into the other side of the bore. I don't know how much you need to open it up in this case, so if I were you I wouldnt do it until I spoke with someone who did. I may be wrong for that matter... I dont think so though.

Why in Gods name did you do this? Are you aware of the legal ramifications?

That is kind of what I thought, but the FSB/Gas block aws a mother to get on..took barrell and block mods...don't ask why. I have drilled through the bottom of the barrell to open up the gas port before..then tap the bottom hole.and weld over the set screw.

I am going to hold off for now, and see what the majority says..

Thanks

couple of things . 1, you have to be very careful with the ramp on a .223 , a sharp edge will dent the hell out of the shoulder as it's going in [more noticbly with brass of course] . A 30-45 degree angle is usually about it . 2, .223 is very high presure , on a AK you really shouldn't need to open it beyond the original size , although you really should champher the hole prior to installing the gasblock . 3, Piston depth inside the gasblock plays a really big role in all this , might want to run it back a bit . If you want to find out if its a preassure problem , try it with some full power , mil. surplus/spec. loads , not Wolf , as it's pretty light . Also , new poly mags can be slow , I'd lube it and work the follower up and down for4-5 minutes to loosen it up . I've seen new poly mag's not be able to get the rounds up quick enough for the bolt to catch , doing like I mentioned did fix that . Good luck dude .

couple of things . 1, you have to be very careful with the ramp on a .223 , a sharp edge will dent the hell out of the shoulder as it's going in [more noticbly with brass of course] . A 30-45 degree angle is usually about it . 2, .223 is very high presure , on a AK you really shouldn't need to open it beyond the original size , although you really should champher the hole prior to installing the gasblock . 3, Piston depth inside the gasblock plays a really big role in all this , might want to run it back a bit . If you want to find out if its a preassure problem , try it with some full power , mil. surplus/spec. loads , not Wolf , as it's pretty light . Also , new poly mags can be slow , I'd lube it and work the follower up and down for4-5 minutes to loosen it up . I've seen new poly mag's not be able to get the rounds up quick enough for the bolt to catch , doing like I mentioned did fix that . Good luck dude .

Now we're getting somewhere!

Hey! I gave good advice too. I said things like: "dont take my word for it" and "...I wouldn't do it..." :haha:

Hey, Compadre: I was simply 'bailing out' in the presence of my betters! I do apologize for not referencing your posts - I was just heading for the hypothetical horizon (in 'stampede-mode,' or maybe even 'I-set-myself-on-fire-mode' ;>), on this one...

Edited by Bad Bob

I will try the lube on the mags...to see if that helps.

I am running brass cased Guatemalan surplus in it right now.

As far as legal ramifications...the OA barrell length is 16.1 inches...I am good to go.

never thought about the gas piston length...I will check that as well.

Thanks...and any other ideas are appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

I tried some other magazines...same problem...

I tried different rounds also...same deal

second round will come out of the mag, then get wedged at an angle before the bolt gets closed.

All rounds hand cycle every time...?

Giving serious consideration to opening up the gas port...

Any other suggestions...

Thanks

I have seen a wide variance in quality of the bulgy 223 waffle mags.

Mostly the follower being sloppy - allowing it to rock back & forth.

post-2093-1176070620_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1176070796_thumb.jpg

When you load up a mag with like 5 rounds, can you push the rear of the cartridge down and have it stay? Many times it will either miss the cartridge base and not chamber or catch it, drag it forward & jam it - crushing the side.

How tall are the feedlips on the front of the mag? Can you post a pic? If they are filed too low you can get problems there too.

Can you get a pic of the guide too? Maybe shine a light in there & photo.

Edited by dinzag