Saiga 7.62 vs. 308?

I want to buy one of these in the Sporter version. I have a couple SARs in 7.62x39. Knowing the AK action is not the best for long range sniper work, will one of these calibers out shoot the other at 200-300 yards? This is with a scope.

Would my SAR be just as accurate as the Saiga?

Is 300 yards realistic for an AK?

God, we are nutty?!?! aren't we. hehe. we're basically sayin': get it! then when you've got some more money, get another!

I like the romak III too! seems every time I turn on the TV, some middle eastern guy's got one - I spot it in a minute! probably paid some goat cheese, and pick of a camel litter, for it. let's see what happens after sept 14. you still can't import can you?

i've heard the .223 is supposed to be effective to 800yds. I know that on the first setting of the rear sight I can shoot to about 160yds with little drop, with 7.62X39. it still is going fast enough to puncture skin I guess, @ 500, but would you really want to try? we all know that the .308 is the better rifle for that type of shot.

With 7.62x39, you're going to have to pretty much shoot it like an M-203 at 500yd .... it would be pretty fun to try at a firing range offering that kind of range.

With .223, the Army states the effective range of an M4/M16 is 550m.

From what the soldiers have said, at 550m a tree branch will deflect the bullet. While it MIGHT be able to hit a target at 800m; the amount of damage/penetration is severely limited.

The tried and true 7.62x51 will be a much better long range cartridge than the 7.62x39, but I'm not too clear on the availability of 0.308 AK mags. I got a VEPR K in 7.62x39 because of the cheap and readily available magazines and plinking ammo.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great question. I bought a 308 'cause everybody's got an ak in 7.62x39. At first I was leaning towards the 22" barrel, but everyone said the 16" barrel is stiffer and thus more accurate. This all sounded great until the first time I saw my 16" 308 fired. An 18" muzzle flash visible in broad daylight tells me I'm wasting a lot of energy, losing velocity, and might even be better off with the 7.62x39 with the milder recoil.

The Romak-3 is a terrific looking rifle. I'm convinced look-alike furniture could be made with a little work, and the casual observer would never know the difference, especially on a 22" barreled 308. The only hangup is the front bracket for the lower handguard; it would have to be welded to the barrel I think. A friend is sure he can do this for me, says it's not enough heat to worry about damaging the barrel, and I guess he's right. That's the way the original AKs were made. I have fabricated 3 different dragunov style stocks from common plywood, with simple tools, just to test the theory. I expect to be doing one for a friend soon that doesn't involve a PG conversion. If it all works out, I'll post the info and you can try it yourself.

that thing with the shorter barrel, I have to disagree. hardly ANY tacticle sniper type weapons go any shorter than 20". I'm convinved that my 20" 7.62X39 is more accurate than most 16" clones because of the barrel length. I will get one with the longer barrel, even if it's wood furniture (given the choice i'll always choose synthetic), which seems to be more available.

Interesting. I wonder why Saiga makes a 16" barrel 308? Does anybody make different barrels for the AK action? For that matter, with the ban over and the Russians our buds now, when is someone going to start making an American AK based rifle? Now that would be cool.

Hmmm...thinking about this. Why make a .308 with only a 16" barrel?

Well, If you want a CQB rifle with penetrating capabilities, it would work very well. Put a half-decent scope on it, and you're effective out to about 400+ yards. By "effective" I mean a combination of accuracy, penetration, and bullet drop.

If your looking for a 500+ yard rifle, I'd go with the longer barrel.

I see what you guys are sayin', consider the use of the gun! they make it in the 16" barrel because, the origonals are made in that length. isn't the 16.5" barrel standard on the origonal design (AK)? you get a higher muzzle velocity with the shorter barrel?!? better penetration?

I'll always go for the longer barrel, I think it makes up for any slop in the receiver - in the end. maybe I'm being stupid, I can't let it go! ..........I need therapy :cryss:

I see what you guys are sayin', consider the use of the gun! they make it in the 16" barrel because, the origonals are made in that length. isn't the 16.5" barrel standard on the origonal design (AK)? you get a higher muzzle velocity with the shorter barrel?!? better penetration?

I'll always go for the longer barrel, I think it makes up for any slop in the receiver - in the end. maybe I'm being stupid, I can't let it go! ..........I need therapy :cryss:

For therapy you need to buy another Saiga and take it shooting. You'll feel happier and more relaxed in no time.

• 4 weeks later...