RANGE REPORT

Ammo: Golden bear 2 3/4 buck brass plated steel hulls.

Silver Bear 2 3/4' 97 grain sabot slug zink plated steel hulls.

These are dimensionally identical as the Barnul steel hulls formerly marketed as 3"

Function test:

2 10 rd mags

1 old style 3" only S-.410.(see avitar)

To make it tough:

I loaded mag 1 with 3 slugs over 1 shot over 2 slugs over 1 shot over 2 slugs over 1 shot .

I loaded mag 2 with 3 shots over 1 slug over 2 shots over 1 slug over 2 shot s over 1 slug .

No problems both mags fed perfectly and at 50" the slugs were right on, the #4 buck a couple inches low and right even 4" patterns. No failures of any kind.

Forgot to add- got it from Sportsmans Guide.

Edited by G O B
To any and all who's wallets are aching from feeding the .410 expensive buckshot and slugs from our local sporting goods like Academy and Wal-mart. I found what I think is a decent price on some ammo. I hope this helps curb the expense and appetite of these otherwise kick ass S-12 siblings.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=215168 Buckshot

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=320656 Slugs

Feeding My Habit~Slyckk

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/

Here's one place. They say 2 2/4" on the box but they are the same as the "3 inch" barnauls. The Barnaul steel hulls actually measure 2 3/4". Since they are roll crimped instead of like plastic shells that open up an additional 1/4" when fired, that can be confusing. More than likely Sportsman's Guide is calling these 2 3/4", not 3" because that's what it says on the box and that's what they are.

Put all this here to make it easy to find the shells and that see the 2 3/4 is the same as 3". Plastic hulls get 1/4' longer when fired. Steel dont.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Feb 24 2007, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Daamn. I need to make a couple new target frames and get my dead ass to the range.

I shot my freshly converted .410 this weekend as well using the same ammo and a new 10 rounder. I had a failure to feed about every 2 rounds. Now I just have to figure out if the mag needs some breaking in or if it's some sort of problem with my conversion. Everything is put together correctly. It looks like the factory 10 rounder has an ever so slightly different feed angle than the factory 4 round mag. One of the zinc plated shells somehow bent at the front of the case prior to chambering so much that it wouldn't even manually feed into the chamber. I shot this same ammo out of the 4 round mag prior to the conversion and didn't have any problems.

I shot my freshly converted .410 this weekend as well using the same ammo and a new 10 rounder. I had a failure to feed about every 2 rounds. Now I just have to figure out if the mag needs some breaking in or if it's some sort of problem with my conversion. Everything is put together correctly. It looks like the factory 10 rounder has an ever so slightly different feed angle than the factory 4 round mag. One of the zinc plated shells somehow bent at the front of the case prior to chambering so much that it wouldn't even manually feed into the chamber. I shot this same ammo out of the 4 round mag prior to the conversion and didn't have any problems.

Correctly on the 10 rounds feed is a litlle bit steeper to compensate for the extra six rounds so the round on top would always be on the correct angle around 25-30 degrees I guess, to feed into the chamber. Round Feed from the 4 round magazine will not fit into the 10 round magazine also as it is a litlle bit wider on the sides and cannot be inserted without trimming it with a file. I don't think this is your problem but try to grease the magazine feeder especially the inverted U litlle feet on front and back so it will slide into magazine easier. Better switch to different ammo. If this problem persists then it's something mechanically wrong with conversion.

Joe :angel:

Check the front of the mag where it engages the reciever. I had to file one of the 10rd mags to fit/feed proprely when I got them.

That was some time ago. Compare the mag that jams with one that works.

Edited by G O B
  • 2 weeks later...

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Mar 27 2007, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check the front of the mag where it engages the reciever. I had to file one of the 10rd mags to fit/feed proprely when I got them.

That was some time ago. Compare the mag that jams with one that works.

I've determined my problem isn't a conversion issue, the first 2 rounds feed fine from the 10 rounder, then the 3rd round jams into the top of the chamber for some reason, if I remove the mag and push the round back down it works again for another couple of rounds. Maybe the spring needs to be weakened a bit?

I haven't messed with them yet, but I see the same issue with my 10's.

4's are fine. I decided to use 3" only ammo in the 10's.

Here's the ones I have - Izhmash factory stamped.

post-2093-1176040870_thumb.jpg

Don't know if these work better - Prodiz factory.

Some have round counters & some do not.

post-2093-1176040881_thumb.jpg

Clean the inside of the mags and spray with dry silicone lude, or you can "color" it with a pencil to lube with graphite. Lightly sand any flash or parting lines on the follower and lube that too.

If you have washed the coating off of the spring, lube that with cooking spray-don't go crazy with it. Should help feeding. Give particular attention to the groove the rims travel in.

Make damn shure that each shell has it's rim in front of the one below. I "roll" the shell in. Push down with the rim end of the shell just in front of the feed lips, and roll the shell in.