with most military weapons that I have used (m-4, m-16, m-14, m249, and m240b) there is a set zero range, where the point of impact is the same as the set range, like 10m zero for the m240b.

Does anyone know what the zero distance is with the .308 siaga? I was checking out my Mosin 91/30 recently, and shot it at 25m to see about grouping. I got great groups, but they were all about 4" high using Norma 180gr.

also, my manual on my saiga had accuracy written down in the book as being less than or equal to 100mm @ 100 yds. I guess I'd like to try and check the zero at a closer range, rather than taking it to 100yds and checking it.

The best way to do that is to zero the 308 at 100 yards with the sight set for 100 and then shoot at 25 and see where it hits. You also want to be using the exact load that you will be using. Point of impact will change with the bullet weight, maker and velocity, etc.

Yeah that I can do, but what I was looking for was the range that it was zero when set for X yards. As with all rifles, the bullet leaves the barrel below the sight line, intersects it, reaches max ordinance, then descends and crosses the sight line again. On an M-4 that distance is 25m. I just wondered if anyone knew that range.

25 yds is close, but again. It varies depending on bullet weight. I usually set most of my weapons at 50 yds, about 1-2" high. Then when I move up to 100, it is pretty close, and I can fine tune from there.

308 I like to set zero at 200 yds. That way you are within a couple inches from 100 out to 350-400.

Yeah that I can do, but what I was looking for was the range that it was zero when set for X yards. As with all rifles, the bullet leaves the barrel below the sight line, intersects it, reaches max ordinance, then descends and crosses the sight line again. On an M-4 that distance is 25m. I just wondered if anyone knew that range.

Correct. The distance is 25m for the M885 5.56 round (gi ball ammo) which I think is 55gr bullet weight.

I am trying to research the same thing myself but I think that this page may be as close as we can find out. The first table shows a 600yd zero (military) and the second smaller table shows a 100yd zero (law enforcement). It shows the corresponding bullet drops at various ranges.

Interestingly enough the author did not say what weapon he used for the evaluation. Perhaps it's in another page on the website that I haven't seen.

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

Also keep in mind that the Saiga seems to prefer lighter ammo (Bossman had a post about this) in 150gr or lighter. There is one round listed on the site that is 150gr and is on the second table.

I am going to zero my Saiga at 200 with iron sights and zero my optic at 500.

Hope that helps.

Correct. The distance is 25m for the M885 5.56 round (gi ball ammo) which I think is 55gr bullet weight.

I am trying to research the same thing myself but I think that this page may be as close as we can find out. The first table shows a 600yd zero (military) and the second smaller table shows a 100yd zero (law enforcement). It shows the corresponding bullet drops at various ranges.

Interestingly enough the author did not say what weapon he used for the evaluation. Perhaps it's in another page on the website that I haven't seen.

http://www.snipercentral.com/308.htm

Also keep in mind that the Saiga seems to prefer lighter ammo (Bossman had a post about this) in 150gr or lighter. There is one round listed on the site that is 150gr and is on the second table.

I am going to zero my Saiga at 200 with iron sights and zero my optic at 500.

Hope that helps.

since the saiga has adjustable rear sight elevation, I was going to use 100yds as the baseline. I can calculate bullet drop at any given range if I know the muzzel velocity in fps. I guess I should just do the math, and figure it out. I was just hoping that someone had done the calculation.

There is a free program on remingtons webpage that lets you set zero range and then shoot at various distances, you can compare loads, graph drop, path, energy, velocity, ect... and print out balistics tables for any bullet and zero range you want. Its called "Remington Shoot"

I checked with 150 gr .308 sp 2820fps 30yrd zero = 200yrd zero and 2" high @100 and 8.8" low at 300yrds 60yrd zero=100yrd zero 3.9" low at 200 and 14.7 low at 300. I sight my 308 in for a 200yrd zero

with most military weapons that I have used (m-4, m-16, m-14, m249, and m240b) there is a set zero range, where the point of impact is the same as the set range, like 10m zero for the m240b.

Does anyone know what the zero distance is with the .308 siaga? I was checking out my Mosin 91/30 recently, and shot it at 25m to see about grouping. I got great groups, but they were all about 4" high using Norma 180gr.

also, my manual on my saiga had accuracy written down in the book as being less than or equal to 100mm @ 100 yds. I guess I'd like to try and check the zero at a closer range, rather than taking it to 100yds and checking it.

Saiga200yards.jpg

Saiga1000yards.jpg

Using Monarch 150 gr soft point ammo. 16" carbine. Zero at 100 yards.