Making Progress on conversion

Hi guys I have been reading and researching S12 conversions so I can complete my own. All I can say is the FAQ and the search function have been a real life saver. Also to those that are a little standoffish on doing this yourself, have no fears it is pretty straight forward and fairly simple and after you start you realize there not much to it. But take your time if useing a dremel and pay attention where the other side of the cutting wheel is when you cutting off the upper tang for the reciever block(dont ask me how I know).

So far I have the following completed.

Trigger guard is off

Top Tang is cut ( take your time on this one, I got a little excited and clipped the reciever)

Internal Reciever block modded for fit

Ace folding Socom attached to test function :unsure:

I still need to drill a hole for the front on the trigger guard screw and I need to cut the pistol grip hole. Then I can start fitting the FCG with Jerics LRBHO. I took a few pictures to hold you vultures off for awhile, this will be a on going project when I have time as I am working away from home. Well heres the pictures, hope you enjoy.

Bottom or reciever with Ace folding Socom test fitted

ashleyonbike007vk9.jpg

Bottom of reciever with Ace Folded

ashleyonbike010mw6.jpg

Side View of Ace Folded

ashleyonbike009ml7.jpg

Well guys I will update when I get some more done, hopefully I will get my pistol grip nut, optima2000 mount and S12 sharkbreak from Tromix here in a week or two so I can get this completed the next time I am home. I am planning on refinishing with a camo pattern in Krylon :devil:, or I just might do it right and Duracoat it. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions as it might help the next guy with his conversion. Hunter121

hunter121, awesome job so far! Thanks for sharing the progress on your project. I greatly look forward to seeing the your completed shottie once the last piece is put together.

Wishing you a steady hand, and nerves of steel!

~Gary

Hi guys I have been reading and researching S12 conversions so I can complete my own. All I can say is the FAQ and the search function have been a real life saver. Also to those that are a little standoffish on doing this yourself, have no fears it is pretty straight forward and fairly simple and after you start you realize there not much to it. But take your time if useing a dremel and pay attention where the other side of the cutting wheel is when you cutting off the upper tang for the reciever block(dont ask me how I know).

So far I have the following completed.

Trigger guard is off

Top Tang is cut ( take your time on this one, I got a little excited and clipped the reciever)

Internal Reciever block modded for fit

Ace folding Socom attached to test function :unsure:

I still need to drill a hole for the front on the trigger guard screw and I need to cut the pistol grip hole. Then I can start fitting the FCG with Jerics LRBHO. I took a few pictures to hold you vultures off for awhile, this will be a on going project when I have time as I am working away from home. Well heres the pictures, hope you enjoy.

Bottom or reciever with Ace folding Socom test fitted

ashleyonbike007vk9.jpg

Bottom of reciever with Ace Folded

ashleyonbike010mw6.jpg

Side View of Ace Folded

ashleyonbike009ml7.jpg

Well guys I will update when I get some more done, hopefully I will get my pistol grip nut, optima2000 mount and S12 sharkbreak from Tromix here in a week or two so I can get this completed the next time I am home. I am planning on refinishing with a camo pattern in Krylon :devil:, or I just might do it right and Duracoat it. Feel free to leave comments or ask questions as it might help the next guy with his conversion. Hunter121

that is the stock i have in mind if i convert... i opted for the russian made dragonuv stock to save myself the conversion money... but i don't want a folder

so... how do you like yours and would it be simple to do without doing a folder

Thanks Gary for the kind comments however if you saw some of the nicks and "ahh shits" you would know I need to be a little more steady. I figure getting the pistol grip hole just right will be the hardest part out of all of this, but we will see.

Mccumber1916, from what I can tell it would pretty damn easy to do with out the folder. You would just have to install the ar adapter on to the reciever block first then screw in the socom or other Ar stock then index it with the castle nut and you should be done. I almost went this route to keep the cost down a little but I said screw it, I like that foot or so folded away when in the safe or range bag makes for a more compact package. Also the stock is very sturdy and solid as a rock, its robust and light at the same time if that makes sense. Actually I might be picking up one for my ar15 as I like it that much.

On a side note after I posted this new topic I went out with my dad and brother and shot a few hundred rounds out of the Ar15 and I shot my Ar10 that I built for the 1st time also. Had a few issues with the 10 but they should be fixed pretty easy when I get a chance.

Funny thing was the two countys that showed up while we were shooting the 10 and getting it sighted in. I guess the city folk that bought property below us were scared shittless and hiding in the basement until the countys could come up the hill side to my dads property and lay down the law.

The countys pop there heads around the corner of the house and announced there arrival and I disarmed the Ar10 and as soon as the rifle was clear they were both all over the rifle like kids in a candy shop. They forgot why they were there until I asked :lol:. They said the neibors were scared of the gun fire and I said "tell them to move back to seattle" and they both chuckled. Tried to get them to shoot with us but I think one of them was a trainee so the senior officer was reluctant but you could tell it was killing him and he wanted to play. After they left we grabbed the pistols and formed a line and unloaded about 4 mags each just to make a shit load of noise :killer: just to let the neibors know we had a talk with the countys.

Well have a good one guys, hopefully in a week or two the S12 will be done and I will post a few more pictures. Hunter121

Edited by hunter121

Hunter 121 wrote:

"Well have a good one guys, hopefully in a week or two the S12 will be done and I will post a few more pictures. Hunter121"

Bet yer' neighbors will love the S-12..... :lolol:

Sweet stock there.....can't go wrong with the Ace SOCOM. If you install a "Shark Brake" you will have two "interrogation devices", the muzzle, and the serrated hammer face installed on your stock's butt. Gotta respect a stock fabricator confident enough to integrate a hammer into it.

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

Yeah I was actually mad at my self for starting the conversion, I would have loved to throw 50 or so 00buck down range just to be loud as hell. It does'nt help the neibors are at the bottom of the valley and my parents place is up the hill side. Everything echos and funnels right down to them, I am sure it sounded like a war was breaking out next to there house :D .

Hunter 121 wrote:

"Well have a good one guys, hopefully in a week or two the S12 will be done and I will post a few more pictures. Hunter121"

Bet yer' neighbors will love the S-12..... :lolol:

Sweet stock there.....can't go wrong with the Ace SOCOM. If you install a "Shark Brake" you will have two "interrogation devices", the muzzle, and the serrated hammer face installed on your stock's butt. Gotta respect a stock fabricator confident enough to integrate a hammer into it.

Respectfully posted,

Guido2 in Houston

is the official use of the tock a face tenderisor?

Thanks Gary for the kind comments however if you saw some of the nicks and "ahh shits" you would know I need to be a little more steady. I figure getting the pistol grip hole just right will be the hardest part out of all of this, but we will see.

Mccumber1916, from what I can tell it would pretty damn easy to do with out the folder. You would just have to install the ar adapter on to the reciever block first then screw in the socom or other Ar stock then index it with the castle nut and you should be done. I almost went this route to keep the cost down a little but I said screw it, I like that foot or so folded away when in the safe or range bag makes for a more compact package. Also the stock is very sturdy and solid as a rock, its robust and light at the same time if that makes sense. Actually I might be picking up one for my ar15 as I like it that much.

On a side note after I posted this new topic I went out with my dad and brother and shot a few hundred rounds out of the Ar15 and I shot my Ar10 that I built for the 1st time also. Had a few issues with the 10 but they should be fixed pretty easy when I get a chance.

Funny thing was the two countys that showed up while we were shooting the 10 and getting it sighted in. I guess the city folk that bought property below us were scared shittless and hiding in the basement until the countys could come up the hill side to my dads property and lay down the law.

The countys pop there heads around the corner of the house and announced there arrival and I disarmed the Ar10 and as soon as the rifle was clear they were both all over the rifle like kids in a candy shop. They forgot why they were there until I asked :lol:. They said the neibors were scared of the gun fire and I said "tell them to move back to seattle" and they both chuckled. Tried to get them to shoot with us but I think one of them was a trainee so the senior officer was reluctant but you could tell it was killing him and he wanted to play. After they left we grabbed the pistols and formed a line and unloaded about 4 mags each just to make a shit load of noise :killer: just to let the neibors know we had a talk with the countys.

Well have a good one guys, hopefully in a week or two the S12 will be done and I will post a few more pictures. Hunter121

i love your attitude hunter

Mccumber1916-

I am sure the county's got a kick out of me, but I think the neibors really love me :wub:. I think the iceing on the cake was leaving the parents house and stomping on the gas (2500HD 496 with very loud duals) leaving the driveway with the neibors outside, I think I saw a vein pop in the womans forhead :super:. What do they expect when they move to the country, gunshots,dead animals, and loud trucks.

Where do you live Hunter 121? I live in central Montana and yes, I can shoot, piss, hunt and pretty much crap in the front yard if I want to with nobody telling me otherwise. Man I love this part of the country. I can't stand people from the west coast (Seattle included) comming into rural areas and Californicating it all up!

Great story Hunter. To bad you didn't have a 100 drum for the AR to go with the pistols.

My tactical trainer has a neigbor that evidently thinks guns should be outlawed, as well a carry permit.

Picture this....when he weeds his garden wearing sandals and shorts he also wear's his Gock 40!

Lets see, If I purchse a hous near an airport...shouldn't the airplanes be banned becase of noise abatement laws??? :super:

Where do you live Hunter 121? I live in central Montana and yes, I can shoot, piss, hunt and pretty much crap in the front yard if I want to with nobody telling me otherwise. Man I love this part of the country. I can't stand people from the west coast (Seattle included) comming into rural areas and Californicating it all up!

I am from a small town called Cle Elum in central Washington, however the nearest town to where I grew up is Easton and for all you TV watchers if you remember the show Nothern Exposure thats my town, they filmed it there. My graduation class in 01 was 9.

Curently I am living near Seattle due to my work situation and I hate every second of it. Its amazing what a 100 mile differance can do to peoples kindness. I went from waving at everyone and going out of my way to make sure they have a nice day to a conceded ses-pool. Dont get me wrong there are some really kind people in the city and when I am one on one with them most of the time they are great, but generaly speaking city people are out of touch with what really matters if you know what I mean.

Basicly brother your my kind-a people and I cant wait to get enough money saved up so I can buy a huge chunck of property in Montana or Wyoming. I would settle for Idaho and Alaska as well. Well have a good one. Ryan M

Edited by hunter121

B)-->

QUOTE(Michael B @ Apr 9 2007, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great story Hunter. To bad you didn't have a 100 drum for the AR to go with the pistols.

My tactical trainer has a neigbor that evidently thinks guns should be outlawed, as well a carry permit.

Picture this....when he weeds his garden wearing sandals and shorts he also wear's his Gock 40!

Lets see, If I purchse a hous near an airport...shouldn't the airplanes be banned becase of noise abatement laws??? :super:

My brother is a city cop and he does the same thing, its funny watching the general public get freaked out :devil:. His neibors are trained now though, hell we could probably land a Apache in the back yard and they would shrug it off :killer:.

Hunter, the conversion looks great. I have an s-12 that will recieve the same treatment just as soon as I am finished converting my saiga .308. As a full time factory certified DuraCoat finisher I must tell you this. Think hard about your decision to use krylon. There isn't anything wrong with krylon (hell, I have an old sar-1 that has it!) but if you should decide to go with DuraCoat later, getting the old krylon off is a bitch (even with a blast cabinet the krylon just sorta gums up and is a real pain in the ass). I have customers bring painted weapons to me all the time. I always charge a little extra to blast rattle can paint off because of the time involved. Just something to think about. Anyway, keep up the good work and maybe I'll get off my ass and post a few pics of my own. Thanks for the inspiration.

Hunter, the conversion looks great. I have an s-12 that will recieve the same treatment just as soon as I am finished converting my saiga .308. As a full time factory certified DuraCoat finisher I must tell you this. Think hard about your decision to use krylon. There isn't anything wrong with krylon (hell, I have an old sar-1 that has it!) but if you should decide to go with DuraCoat later, getting the old krylon off is a bitch (even with a blast cabinet the krylon just sorta gums up and is a real pain in the ass). I have customers bring painted weapons to me all the time. I always charge a little extra to blast rattle can paint off because of the time involved. Just something to think about. Anyway, keep up the good work and maybe I'll get off my ass and post a few pics of my own. Thanks for the inspiration.

on that note... how much you charge to dura coat my s-12

and oh ya... i want that supressed carbon fiber walther

• 3 weeks later...

Alright guys, I just got back home from work and I got my stuff from Tony and all I can say is MMMMMMMMM. I am bumping this topic to the top as I will most likely need moral support tomorrow as I will be cutting the pistol grip hole and trying to install my single hook G2 trigger along with Jerics LRBHO. I am sure I will have some question as to how everything goes in with the LRBHO.

Well guys hopefully tomorrow afternoon you should see my S-12 about 95% complete and functional. The last 5% will be me taking the time to actually paint it. I am starting to lean towards Duracoat as I am away from home alot in the summer and it can cure on its own.

Wish me luck, Ryan

Alright guys, I just got back home from work and I got my stuff from Tony and all I can say is MMMMMMMMM. I am bumping this topic to the top as I will most likely need moral support tomorrow as I will be cutting the pistol grip hole and trying to install my single hook G2 trigger along with Jerics LRBHO. I am sure I will have some question as to how everything goes in with the LRBHO.

Well guys hopefully tomorrow afternoon you should see my S-12 about 95% complete and functional. The last 5% will be me taking the time to actually paint it. I am starting to lean towards Duracoat as I am away from home alot in the summer and it can cure on its own.

Wish me luck, Ryan

don't forget earplugs when you use sharkbreak !!!!!!!!!!

Wish me luck, Ryan

:killer: Yeah I just read your thread about it, too damn funny.

Wish me luck, Ryan

:killer: Yeah I just read your thread about it, too damn funny.

huh? what?

Wish me luck, Ryan

Good luck Ryan, nothing to it!

I just completed my conversion yesterday. Had to get a couple tips from the Cobra dude(thanks!) but

other than that smooth sailing. Just file slowly on your pistol grip hole, keep a tight fit.

Are you using screws or rivets to attach triggerguard? Also using the factory tg?

Edited by Stingray

Wish me luck, Ryan

Good luck Ryan, nothing to it!

I just completed my conversion yesterday. Had to get a couple tips from the Cobra dude(thanks!) but

other than that smooth sailing. Just file slowly on your pistol grip hole, keep a tight fit.

Are you using screws or rivets to attach triggerguard? Also using the factory tg?

I will be useing the factory trigger guard and screws to attach it.

UPDATE: :killer:

I got the pistol grip hole cut out now, had to do some fileing on the actual pistol grip nut as one side was thicker then the other. My pistol grip screw is about 1/4 to short so I am off to the hardware store to see if I can get lucky. Every thing is coming together however and looking like it will be pretty damn nice.

I will update here in a little bit when I make some more progress. Ryan

HAHAHAHA!!! I just cheaked my room real quick for another bolt and I glanced at a A2 pistol grip for my AR15 and thought wait a minit, then click, that damn ergo AK grip that I ordered really is a ergo ARgrip lol. Oh well I will make it work, off to town.

Edited by hunter121

Let us know how comfortable that stock is during firing.

I like the looks, but comforst is my top priority.

I have the ace fixed tube on my 9mm AR and love it.

Is there any play in the stock when it is locked open??

Nice job, I am still collecting parts and ammo:)

Let us know how comfortable that stock is during firing.

I like the looks, but comforst is my top priority.

I have the ace fixed tube on my 9mm AR and love it.

Is there any play in the stock when it is locked open??

Nice job, I am still collecting parts and ammo:)

The stock is rock solid with no wiggle what so ever when open and locked. I just got in from running 20rds of waterfowl through it and its a pleasure to shoot, feels like a 20g at most.

I still have to add Jerics LRBHO but I figured thats another project for later on. I also need to punch out the rear sight to add the Jpoint mount that I got from Tromix and get it sighted in. Overall I am ver pleased with the conversion and how simple and easy it was, I am already thinking about another :devil: . Ryan

How is the cheek weld??

I was planning on going with a HALO and eotech on the front of mine. Do you think the cheek weld is too low to use this setup??

I may go with the JPOINT setup, but have an extra eotech and wanted to use it up.

Thanks for the reply and pics.......

How is the cheek weld??

I was planning on going with a HALO and eotech on the front of mine. Do you think the cheek weld is too low to use this setup??

I may go with the JPOINT setup, but have an extra eotech and wanted to use it up.

Thanks for the reply and pics.......

I like the cheek weld but I like the cheekweld on my 93b better, however the socom was made for the S12 or atleast it feels that way. I think you should be fine as you can move the whole stock assembeley up or down by looseing a few screws. I would say you have over a inch to find how high/low you want the stock. I am working on pictures for the optic mounted also. Hopefully I can get those up here soon. Ryan