Get your Saiga .223 to use unmodified AK74 and 5.56mm mags

I was looking for this post for a while, and thought I would repost. This is Inparidel's guide to use unmodified mags in your Saiga. Basically trim the barrel extension lugs till the mags fit snugly, and mill out a notch in the extra material between the mag catch and the reciever itself. You still need to add somthing to the followers to make up the difference between .223 and 5.45mm cases. I'll just let Inparidel tell it: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1510&hl=

I actually just did a search on "follower" and the post shows up.

Still looking for Robarm followers though... there website was down and they have not emailed me back.

Wish someone else would start making some followers...

You are in luck then my friend, a member on gunco.net called "grasshopper" had a run of a couple thousand made. I belive they are polymer and marked made in US; however I believe they are 5.45 and not .223 . http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php...s+ak74+follower Dinzag's guide to using ak74 mags has a section on making 5.45 followers feed .223, all you need is some 1/8" thick plastic and a soldering iron to make these work. Hope this helps.

<edit> Oh and forget about the Robarms followers- 6$ each plus shipping is way too much. These are 2.50 each with moddest shipping. Us floorplates also avaliable. If you don't want to try the plastic welding yourself, I'm probably going to do a bunch for myself- let me know and I'll make a few extra for you.

Edited by JK-47

Sounds cool, I saw a post that eluded to a "grasshopper" making these at the Ak Forums...

I'm in a holding pattern right now... funding is low as several things have come up, gas prices, summer camp for the lil'trooper, and we have a new lil'n coming in November...

My wife says I should sell my stuff to the fertility clinic... LOL

Edited by MD_Willington
Sounds cool, I saw a post that eluded to a "grasshopper" making these at the Ak Forums...

I'm in a holding pattern right now... funding is low as several things have come up, gas prices, summer camp for the lil'trooper, and we have a new lil'n coming in November...

My wife says I should sell my stuff to the fertility clinic... LOL

I have already installed a feed ramp in my .223. I use the plastic, Orlite, Galil 35 round .223 mags in mine. They work great. the only alteration is shaving the plastic ribs (about 3/4 inch each side) at the top and that can be done with a sharp pocket knife. These are $14.00 new at cdnn.sports.com and the used ones are 9 or 10 dollars. I'm new to this site so forgive me if I'm throwing out information that has already been put put there.

No accurate information is ever unwelcome- (or at least is shouldn't be!). Unfortunately I have a bone to pick with CDNN and will never give them my business. They won't ship mags to my state- regardless of the actual legality, since they won't bother to actualy read the laws I see no reason to send them my cash when there are plenty of other places that will ship to me (Roger Copes comes to mind A+, thumbs up to him and copesdist.com). I can only own pre-ban mags, so its a bit of a hassle to track those down- if you see some galil orlites labeled pre-ban, please let me know. Also, I love the look of EG bakelite and Russian plum!

<edit> oh, and they want 20$ for those orlites now. (mutters unintelligibly to himself...)

Edited by JK-47