Hello all!

I just entered the world of Saiga rifles! I've had this rifle on layaway for about a month and a half. It's the 7.62X39 ver. 3. I happened to pick up some ammo at the gun shop, being cheaper than Academy at this time.

The people at the gun shop were very nice and helped show me how the rifle is dismantled for cleaning and put back together. I got it home and took it all apart to more closely see the action - VERY simple.

Bear with me, as I'm starting on this sub-board's thread history going all the way back (I'm at page 47 back in time, and working forward to page 1), trying to see what all has happened over time, especially related to the hi-cap magazine issue for stock Saiga rifles. It seems to be that you must have a max of 10 foreign-made parts in your rifle and the rest must be US-made, even if the rifle is a stock Saiga rifle with sporterized stock, if you want to have hi-cap mags, last I read in posts dated 3 years ago. It seemed to be that the contention at the time was whether the parts count rule applied to importers selling the rifle or the owner or end-user. I want to have a couple of hi-cap mags in a legal manner, but I also recognize the need to use the standard mags for when you are lying on the ground and need to keep the rifle close to the ground.

Thanks!

I am going to not answer your questions, but I am going to welcome you to our little corner of the internet!!!

someone should answer this topic you posted in short order, if you cannot find the answer shortly, upon searching this forum, once a member...

Welcome aboard new member! It is GREAT to see a new member with questions trying to do all the research he can to find the answers himself. They are all here in the archives. When I first came here looking for answers about my 410 i read every single post from the first up until the time I started lurking. Then I lurked for another long time before I posted anything. There are good people here who will gladly answer common questions and difficult ones but most every question you can imagine has already been asked and is here somewhere. Thank you for not being lazy. You will without a doubt learn much more than you ever would have thought to ask about by reading all those old posts.

A great place to look for answers to many questions is the "Tech Section".

Be sure and look that over good.

ENJOY! :super:

Welcome aboard new member!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'm on page 30 of this archive (forward towards page 1), and so far it seems to be that Saiga rifles were made as they are to get around whatever importation limits there are and still be legal. Apparently, to be able to use hi-cap AK magazines with a Saiga, the rifle must be converted to have 10 foreign parts or less per 922r of the GCA '68... It seems to be that US-made 30 rounders made expressedly for the Saiga rifle (and I have seen them in person and know where I can get them, but have not been able settle the legality of them) can be used with the rifle as is, out of the box. It would seem according to postings around pages 30-31 that the parts list requirement in 922r is for when you want to use STANDARD foreign-made AK magazines, not the Saiga ones. Am I right?

What Bigfoot Wallace said -

--------------------

The saiga mags are legal because the are made for the saiga not an imported ak. it has something to do with the original purpose or something like that. A converted ak mag would be illegal without the correct parts

----------------------

And there's more, it seems like.

Anyway, onward to page 29...

By the way, I went out to the range the other day with the rifle. The rifle (7.62 X 39 Saiga) shot like a dream. I liked everything about the gun, the feel, the trigger, the pull, and the low recoil! I was able to put a couple of shots through the bull's eye, several within one or two rings around it. At first, I was shooting in the outer rings, as I had to figure out how to line up the sights on the gun (iron sights). I was running back and forth between the gun and the spotter scope behind me after every shot. I also found out that I need to take the safety off carefully, or I would accidently touch the trigger guard when my hand would slip off the safety. I get around this by putting the trigger hand's fingers on the bottom of the magazine and use my thumb to take the safety off, so if I ever did slip, I would miss the trigger guard entirely. I noticed some people complained about the trigger, where there is play in the first fraction of an inch before you feel pressure in the trigger mechanism. Actually, I like that, because I can pull the trigger up to that point, keep the finger under tension, aim, and follow through when I'm ready. It would seem to minimize jostling the gun out of line when pulling the trigger.

I got home and cleaned the gun. Boy, there was a lot of the primer/bullet seal coming out (the red stuff around the primer and the bullet crimp). I was shooting TCW and Golden Tiger brands with no problem.

Edited by deaf-sg-1