dimples vs flat reciever

well, we've all seen the new saiga's with dimples, and most of us want one....BAD. especialy the y-marked ones that are ALSMOST the real deal russian AKM reciever...whats the diff? is the smooth side better with mags or is the dimple one? and the final question is has anybody been able to reproduce these? i mean the ak flats some people use have dimples....of course they aren't heat treated, the flats i mean...but yeah just a thought...any know how?

The dimple is supposed to help cut down on mag wobble.

Here's my shiny new 7.62 with the dimple, courtesy Will at Red Jacket. It dosen't have the "Y" mark... but I'm not complaining about that! The mag doesn't have much wobble at all, but I don't have a 7.62 with a flat receiver to compare. I do have a .223 and a .308 (without dimples) and those mags wobble much more than the dimpled 7.62.

saiga762-0019.jpg

Micha360 what is that lil latch lever on the side of your gun for? Noticed it and said " hmm " Am talking about the one in front of the magwell. I asume the button on the back if for your folder.

Edited by concho
Micha360 what is that lil latch lever on the side of your gun for? Noticed it and said " hmm " Am talking about the one in front of the magwell. I asume the button on the back if for your folder.

Yeah... the button on back is to release the folder mech. The hook on the front is to latch the stock to the receiver once it's folded.

saiga762-0015.jpg

Edited by micah360
oh...yeah, thats what i was wondering too, about the wobble effect....nice ak though.....does the .223 and .308 have rails inside to make up for the flat sides?

Yes... the .223 and the .308 have the rails inside.

What's the "y" mark. I've heard people talking about that but don't have a clue what it means.

Thanks!

Think the "Y" is where the autosear pin would go in the FA version.