STEVENS TIP UP .22 QUESTION

I have a Steven Tip Up pistol in .22LR and my question is how tight should I keep the hinge screw?I have tried to keep it tight and use blue loctite on it but it always lossens a tad.Is a little play better than tight anyway?Less wear?If i want to keep it tight,I will have to do red loctite,then it will never come undone,an unwise thing I think.Any ideas?

post-4588-1179539150_thumb.jpg

I personally dont like ANY play when it comes to guns and parts/screws. I would remedy it maybe instead of ed loctite, with purple, which is half blue half red, and in between the two for holding strength.

your pistol is worth better than 200 bucks by the way. and was made in the second or third decade of last century.

The lock-up on these is notoriously weak and wears quickly.

If there's any give at all at the breech, it'll increase with shooting. I am glad to hear you're shooting Colibris, as shooting high velocity stuff will wear it out much sooner!

I don't think there's any way to keep the screw TIGHT, as the barrel has to tip to load and unload. You might consider coating the screw with heavy grease, like plumber's grease. That will allow it to loosen a bit but not continue after a certain natural point.

I've got a Hy Hunter copy with a bit longer barrel, and really like mine.

My screw now is staying put.Even now when I shoot Federal bulk pack stuff,it behaves.I do really like the Sniper SubSonic ammo from Aguilla.It is a 60grain long bullet in a .22short casing that is sunsonic so alot friendlier to an old gun and is stabilized suprisingly well in the tip-up pistol.I have not tried it on game but it would be my choice out of that gun. B)