so let me get this right

If i want to do a conversion for my x39, all i need is a g2 trigger group (3), us made stock (1), us made pistol grip (1), gas piston (1) and handgaurds (1)?

so here's my question. if i get the g2 trigger group from tapco, do i need to replace the spring? or just the trigger & hammer? who makes handguards for the siaga? will the UTG quad rail replacement handguards fit it? and i should probably go with a k-var kit for the stock and pistol grip right?

or should i just go with this? cause it's made in russia, if i put it on a x39 it's not really "modifying it" is it?

TNG-SAIGA-FOLDING-STOCK.jpg

Edited by jailbait

What do you mean by "all I need"? If you're talking about 922R compliance, then you only need 5 US parts (without a muzzle device) or 6 with a muzzle device. Here are the countable parts for an AK:

(1) Receiver

(2) Barrel

(3) Trunnion

(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)

(5) Bolt

(6) Bolt carrier

(7) Gas piston

(8) Trigger

(9) Hammer

(10) Disconnecter

(11) Buttstock

(12) Pistol grip

(13) Forearm handguards

(14) Magazine body

(15) Follower

(16) Floorplate

As you can see, your magazine parts can count toward compliance -- but then you have to be selective about which magazines you use.

Installation of the G2 trigger group requires some mods - it's not a straight drop in. Using standard AK handguards requires replacing the gas tube. TAPCO does make a Galil-style handguard that will work with the Saiga "as is".

If you don't want to do the trigger mod, ACE also makes a Saiga-specific grip and receiver block, with side-folding stock (left side only) that would count as two parts (pistol grip and buttstock). Then you would still need three more -- which probably would involve the magazines. Here's the link: http://www.riflestocks.com/SaigaAK.htm

Speaking of magazines, your Saiga won't be able to use standard AK mags unless you either modify them (in which case they won't work in your standard AK) or modify the gun. It requires the addition of a bullet guide for proper loading of the rounds from the mag into the chamber.

Lots of good info on conversions here: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

Hope this helps,

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy

That Saiga folding stock has got to be the single most confusing thing to happen to the new Saiga owners in the US.

We need to sticky a thread explaining just why that stock is not a simple drop in replacement just because it happens to be Russian made. If that stock was legal to have on an unconverted Saiga they would be coming into the country with them already attached like the factory skeleton stocks are.

That stock has two things about it that are NAUGHTY according to the ATF. Naughty = "UNSPORTING"

1. pistol grip

2. it folds

Just because it will bolt right on and it's made in Russia, that does not mean it's a compliant part.

That stock was designed in Russia FOR Russians and for other people who don't have a stupid law like 922R to have to deal with. Unless you live in the US you can bolt that bad boy right on your Saiga ina few minutes and have a nice folding stock and PG, no matter how rediculously unbalanced the weapon is afterwards...

That Saiga folding stock has got to be the single most confusing thing to happen to the new Saiga owners in the US.

We need to sticky a thread explaining just why that stock is not a simple drop in replacement just because it happens to be Russian made. If that stock was legal to have on an unconverted Saiga they would be coming into the country with them already attached like the factory skeleton stocks are.

That stock has two things about it that are NAUGHTY according to the ATF. Naughty = "UNSPORTING"

1. pistol grip

2. it folds

Just because it will bolt right on and it's made in Russia, that does not mean it's a compliant part.

That stock was designed in Russia FOR Russians and for other people who don't have a stupid law like 922R to have to deal with. Unless you live in the US you can bolt that bad boy right on your Saiga ina few minutes and have a nice folding stock and PG, no matter how rediculously unbalanced the weapon is afterwards...

Uh...maybe I'm naive, but I think we're talking about two different stock sets. This is from the ACE website, on the page that I linked above:

"US made Saiga rifle and shotgun folding stock set. No modification to your weapon are required. Stock folds to left only and will clear most optical sights mounted to the Saiga's scope rail. Stock set includes: Receiver Block, Pistol Grip, Folding Stock Mechanism, AKFX(length) Skeleton Stock with your choice of 1.0 or 1/2" Recoil Pad and all mounting hardware with a 1 1/4" Ambi Sling Mount. Section 922® may apply."

No one is saying that adding the "evil" features won't bring 922R into play, but according to ACE their stock set would count as 2 US parts with no trigger group conversion required.

I have also seen links to the Russian version - which clearly would not count toward compliance.

Or am I reading it completely wrong?

Jim

the picture i posted above is from this website, in the store section. but hey, if ace has one where i don't have to do a trigger conversion (moving foward) i'm all about that.

just from a devil's advocate standpoint i ask my next question:

the trigger sets look identical, so how would anyone know if it's US made or stock? basically, the only way you get caught is if you get pinched by the locals right?

The ACE one counts as 2 parts. The picture above is the russkie. The only problem with the ACE is it's a little more difficult to get compliance, since you're pretty much stuck with the factory FCG. I'm of the school of thought that you shouldn't rely on mags to get your parts count down, because if you ever got in a real "counting" situation, all it would take would be the ATF agent to slap a foreign mag in there and BAM! You're in violation. Of course, with the ace stock, that's 2, you can get another with handguard, another with a gas piston, and no idea what you'd use for the 5th (and/or 6th).

the picture i posted above is from this website, in the store section. but hey, if ace has one where i don't have to do a trigger conversion (moving foward) i'm all about that.

just from a devil's advocate standpoint i ask my next question:

the trigger sets look identical, so how would anyone know if it's US made or stock? basically, the only way you get caught is if you get pinched by the locals right?

ew. maybe not. i just saw the picture on the ace website. it's yucky. guess i'm going the conversion.....

and i'm going to go with a fixed stock, just don't know the difference between the various lengths.

okay. just found the stock i want to go with. guess i'm going to have to cut a little off of it, as per the conversion instructions. now i've got to find a trigger set. i've read some threads that say the FSE trigger group will drop into any saiga x39 and let the BHO still function without modification. are all the new x39's shipping with a BHO? or do i have to add it?

this build so far is going to run me:

Saiga 7.62x39 16" rifle - 259.00

FFL Transfer Fee -$20.00

Stock Number

AKKRST-E1 Krinkov Stock - $35.00

AKM47 Grip Screw - $9.95

FSE014 AKM Pistol Grip - 9.95

AK15 AK47 Trigger Group - 29.95

so without paying anyone to do the conversion for me i'm at $363.85

if i send it to redstick it's going to be another $150 just in labor. anyone know of anyone that can do the pistol grip conversion for cheaper?

Edited by jailbait

Don't forget to get one of these too!

Retaining Plate

You don't have to have it, but is worth the $12 in the time it will save you. You may find it at other sites for cheaper.

That sweet UTG handguard rail won't go onto a Saiga without more parts. You will need a new gas tube with an upper retainer on it and you will also need a lower handguard retainer. Dinzag sells both:

Dinzags Wares

ALSO, just noticed you don't have a bullet guide added in there. You are going to want one. Dinzag is the best source for these as well.

TAPCO does make a "drop in" handguard replacement for Saigas and optional rails. I use it on my 7.62 Saiga and I am very happy with it. Of course, I am a fucking 35 year old child and I'm happy with just about any toy I get. YMMV.

Edited to add: Tell everyone where you are from and add it to your profile. With any luck you may be within driving distance to a forum member who would be willing to help you in your conversion.

Edited by Vermiform