Barrel threading is done

I just finished threading the barrel on my 7.62x39 using the kit I rented from Dinzag. It was just as easy as everyone has said -- once I got up the nerve to take the first pass!

I had a little trouble getting the thread alignment tool (TAT) into the die properly, but once I did it was a piece of cake. It probably took me about 30 minutes total. When I hit resistance, I would take about 1/8 to 1/6 of a turn, then back it off a few turns to get the flakes moved, then forward again. Slowly but surely I made it all the way down. I have the FSB off so I can install a standard AK with the retaining pin, so I didn't have any problem getting all the thread I wanted. I tried out both my AKC compensator and the slant brake and they went on with no problem. I've attached a picture of the threads and the compensator attached.

I had cut too deeply when I was trying to remove the shroud, so there was a score in the barrel. It's still noticeable but the threads are clean and neither of the muzzle devices hesitated in the least going on. Worse are the two scores I put on the underside of the barrel trying to get the FSB off!! :cryss:

For those who have been hesitating because they're worried about screwing up, I say "go for it". If you use the right tools (and the TAT is a must!!) then it's a snap -- and it will certainly be worth it to be able to install the muzzle device of your choice!

Jim

post-6519-1182647589_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
I just finished threading the barrel on my 7.62x39 using the kit I rented from Dinzag. It was just as easy as everyone has said -- once I got up the nerve to take the first pass!

I had a little trouble getting the thread alignment tool (TAT) into the die properly, but once I did it was a piece of cake. It probably took me about 30 minutes total. When I hit resistance, I would take about 1/8 to 1/6 of a turn, then back it off a few turns to get the flakes moved, then forward again. Slowly but surely I made it all the way down. I have the FSB off so I can install a standard AK with the retaining pin, so I didn't have any problem getting all the thread I wanted. I tried out both my AKC compensator and the slant brake and they went on with no problem. I've attached a picture of the threads and the compensator attached.

I had cut too deeply when I was trying to remove the shroud, so there was a score in the barrel. It's still noticeable but the threads are clean and neither of the muzzle devices hesitated in the least going on. Worse are the two scores I put on the underside of the barrel trying to get the FSB off!! :cryss:

For those who have been hesitating because they're worried about screwing up, I say "go for it". If you use the right tools (and the TAT is a must!!) then it's a snap -- and it will certainly be worth it to be able to install the muzzle device of your choice!

Jim

Navy Guy,

Is there a muzzle brake that can be installed without threading? I read about one that wraps around the front sight, but I can't refind the article.

Thanks,

GNut

I only have experience with the .308 as far as this goes, but why don't you remove the whole FSB assembly BEFORE you cut off the shroud. On my .308, I punched out the 2 pins and gave the FSB a few good hits with a mallet and the whole thing came off. It was a piece of cake to remove the shroud then and I didn't have to worry about going to deep and scoring the barrel. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you and the threads look great!

Navy Guy,

Is there a muzzle brake that can be installed without threading? I read about one that wraps around the front sight, but I can't refind the article.

Thanks,

GNut

Dinzag offers a clamp-n brake for the x39. Check out his thread, here. Scroll down the page to the section on muzzle brakes.

I only have experience with the .308 as far as this goes, but why don't you remove the whole FSB assembly BEFORE you cut off the shroud. On my .308, I punched out the 2 pins and gave the FSB a few good hits with a mallet and the whole thing came off. It was a piece of cake to remove the shroud then and I didn't have to worry about going to deep and scoring the barrel. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you and the threads look great!

Actually, it turned out that those were the channels left from the pins holding the FSB on, not from my cutting. Orginally I wasn't planning on replacing the FSB, but I changed my mind (after I started threading!) I had to smack it pretty hard with a big punch to get it off....not sure how it would have gone back on without a press. How did you reinstall yours? The Bulgarian FSB I replaced it with was quite a bit looser and went on pretty easily.

Jim

Actually, it turned out that those were the channels left from the pins holding the FSB on, not from my cutting. Orginally I wasn't planning on replacing the FSB, but I changed my mind (after I started threading!) I had to smack it pretty hard with a big punch to get it off....not sure how it would have gone back on without a press. How did you reinstall yours? The Bulgarian FSB I replaced it with was quite a bit looser and went on pretty easily.

Jim

I used a my dremel with a sanding drum and slightly bored out the inside of the FSB.