Clamp on front sight?

acgeorge,

I love the "new" design with the rail underneath.

My preference:

AK style posts - ( It would definitely be sacrilege to use a AR style )

Open hood - closed hood creates way to many problems for adjusting.... if you do get lucky enough to damage your front post because you dropped it, then you have earned the privelege to purchase a new post.

Even if the original Russian front site becomes available I will wait for this one. I really like the design.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On second thought, I think there will still be an interest in the individual front post sights. I don't know exactly how the Russian units work (one piece sight/muzzle attachment, two individual pieces) so forgive me if I make an error, but if they're not compatible with chokes, some people might not like the idea of paying $80 only to hack off the muzzle brake (if it is one piece) or only to use the front site and leave the muzzle attachment in a bin. Also some people might not like the hassle of reattaching the muzzle brake each time they change chokes too (assuming they are compatible) so they'd rather have just a front sight.

I for one would like to see to purchasing an individual sight only since I committed my funds into a separate muzzle flash hider already. The rail attachment is also a plus!

Edited by Cesiumsponge
Wow that's looking great! It'd be interesting to see how much they'll charge to get made compared to the possibility of purchasing the Russian version with the brake for $80. Some people might still want one or the other.

I've already ordered a Shotforce flash hider for my Saiga 12 for $20 since I had given up hope on importing some parts...maybe I'll sell it to a friend or keep it if the addition of a front sight is less than $60 (so it'd be equivalent in price to the Russian jobber).

Where can I find info on this shotforce flash hider?

Jerad

Found mine via Centerfire Systems.

Here is a direct link: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merc...ategory_Code=SF

Fits Most 12 and 16 Barrels with Removeable Bead Front Sight (.893 to .824 Outside Barrel Diameter). Note: 20 gauge barrels require a shim.

Someone here measured our Saiga 12 barrels as .888" so this will be a very, very snug fit (which I like). It also comes with an accessory rail on the bottom but I don't find that as useful since I wouldn't want hot gases to be redirected on my laser or flashlight. It'd be great if there was a rail-system bayonet mount however. That's about the only useful thing I could think of to mount that far up. Coupled with a front site with an integrated rail on the bottom, it'd be a great combo with some flexibility to mount whatever you want (not sure if the front sight's rail will be lined up with the shotforce unit though).

Edited by Cesiumsponge

Well, I'm not sure about the Russian stuff showing in a month. I checked this site about 6 months ago and their "parts for sale" section hasn't changed a bit...

What I'd really like to see is a Muzzle brake that doesn't have to be threaded on.

Better yet, a front sight post with an integrated muzzle brake ! Now that would be sweet !

Edited by hk4me
hk4me.....Says cost for both parts will be around $80.00    :super:
that is too high IMHO

hardcorps...do you have a link for tritium AK sights, por favor?

no, i can't think of where i saw them recently, if i remember I'll post it in its own thread so everyone can find it easy.

since the site post drums are pressed in they could be made in AK or AR config. to satisfy everyone . its only a small piece of round metal with a threaded tap in the side.

I wonder if FN USA would be willing to just sell the front sight off their tactical

shotguns

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/sg_tactical.htm

I like the CFS flash hider, especially since the hex drive/shank could be welded

on to mount an STG57 bayonet.

I believe Brownells also has elevated front sights and even a flash hider that

doubles as a screw-in choke holder

Acgeorge,

I would assume that most people that want a front sight post are probably going to want a muzzle brake as well ?

Hows about a design with the front sight post coming off the top of the muzzle brake ?

Basically, extending out the base/clamping area of your front sight post design by 2 inches and drilling some holes/slots just in front of the front sight post ?

It shouldn't be that much more difficult than what you have already designed is it ? :evil:

Edited by hk4me

The integral sight base/muzzel break would not be difficult to add. However, some might want to use the interchangable chokes. How does every one else feel about this?

I will create a version with the integral break, basic bird cage design with no slots on the bottom (AR-15 A2 bird cage). Lets see what people think. It will be a fun exercise.

Andy

I'm dedicated to screw in rem-chokes ,so its unlikely that a one piece muzzle brake design would work for me unless the brake screwed off . I'd like to suggest that a two piece design would be more practical allowing placement of the site where it works best with the attachments you intend to use, and keeping the muzzle attachment where it needs to be.

if the brake was over-sized enough to let a choke be installed while still in place i don't think it would be useful as a brake anymore it would be decorative not functional.

is there really a use for a flashider on a shotgun? I've never fired one at night , and never noticed a flash during the day. is this being suggested as a decorative piece or is there a functional need?

Perhaps those wanting a muzzle device should purchase the Shotforce FH or something similar, so that acgeorge can concentrate on producing the stand-alone front sight tower?

I personally have no need or desire for a MB or FH on a shotgun. Any muzzle device should either be a separate attachment from the sight tower, or there should be two sight tower options (one with MB and one without) for us to choose from.

MHO.

acgeorge - build it, and they will come. Or at least I will! :eek:

I don't think the integral sight base/break is going to work with my design. So, I made the break "stand alone". I'm not going to spend any time on it right now, would rather move forward with the sight base design. But, here is a pic of the break, for what its worth. Decided to go with a M60 design. Its about 4" long.

post-2-1096640596.jpg

Edited by acgeorge

Looks really sweet.

Also, for people w/ pistol grips on their Saigas'... if you use the russian made muzzle brake, would that be considered "adding" a part to the weapon (pushing it above the 10 part count maximum) ?

Edited by hk4me

Just sent the detail print out for quote. Asked it to be quoted in quantities of (1, 25, 50, 75 and 100). I hope to get a response within a week. If the price break down is reasonable, we could move forward as a group buy, possibly. We'll see how it works out.

Andy

p.s. Had the finish quoted as powder coat, satin black.

Edited by acgeorge

suggest a change for the FH ,

instead of a one piece clamp on how does a two piece design sound?

a base that is attached with a group of set screws , and a flashhider that screws onto the base.

it would allow easy choke changes and give you a platform (the base) that you could interchange a flashider , muzzle brake, or ........i don't know something else, how about a sabot suppressor :eek:

Hey....if the Shotforce unit has a picatinny, rail, can't you mount the shotforce flashhider upside down, and use the picatinny rail to mount an AR-15 flattop sight tower? This should be a piece of cake! Or maybe it won't index with the rear sight on the Siaga...that could be a problem. But it should be easy to machine a rear sight for the Saiga that fits in that notch.

Anyone try this?

I haven't received mine. The place I ordered from was out of stock but they didn't bother telling me. I told them to cancel the order and I'd wait til they had more store (not sure if they actually credited me...)

I want to wait and see where this goes because we're supposed to be getting muzzle/front sights.