Clamp on front sight?

What is the issue with getting these sights (as pictured in parts and mods). Well, I decided to design one. Hope the pic works. I'll send it out for quote at several quantity levels and let everyone know. Some questions:

1. Steel or aluminum.

2. Standard AK sight post or AR15 post.

3. Open ears as picture, or closed.

Any thoughts?

I added a few more pics down further on the page

Pic of the muzzel break/flash hider on page 2

Thanks

Andrew George

post-2-1096054092.jpg

Edited by acgeorge
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great, what program did you use?

I have a design of my own that's designed for my manufacturing means. It's more crude but certainly feasible. I'd ask something like $35 or so for mine. That would of course be contingent on finding the time to make them. I have no S-12 of my own to model them, and no money to buy one. I'll see if I can cough up my design and if enough people commit to buy one that would end up funding an S-12, I may jump in and do it.

i'd be interested in one......

1. Steel or aluminum.

aluminum if it's strong enuff....if not then steel

not sure what the difference would be....can you enlighten?

i'd like to see your example of closed....you mean totally closed, like a peep??

I created the model in Solid Edge 14. I basically took a standard AK front sight and modified it for the Saiga 12 barrel diameter. I have a full detail print, just neads the final touches.

I will create a version with enclosed ears on Monday, at work (lunch hour of course). There seems to be many options for the AR15 post, many shapes, colors and sizes, thought it might be interesting.

I will have it quoted in both aluminum and steel, leaning towards steel. A local shop that does work for me has wire EDM capabilities in addition to a full machine shop.

Obviously, cost per unit will decrease as the quantity increases. I'll have him quote in lots of (25, 50, 75 and 100). A simple black Oxide is the most cost effective finish. Although, they could be left in the white, for individual to finish. Other finish options: powder coat, moly coat, phosphate (which I have the ability to do).

I'll let you know more after I get the quote. I'll post more pics on Monday.

Thanks

Andy

ps I still can't get my OEM choke off my Saiga 12. Hoped to get a measure of the threads (diameter, pitch and etc). Designing a screw on break wouldn't require much effort or time. I'll keep working on it.

Edited by acgeorge

I'd be interested in a front sight myself. I've also been talking with a few people with access to mills and lathes which might be willing to churn out a flash suppressor/muzzle brake for that AK-look. I haven't considered a production house yet and I'm still tinkering with Rhino to get a model right.

On that note, has anyone checked out http://www.emachineshop.com/? I tried their software once but it was too different from what I was used to so I ended up not using their service. However if you can design something on there, you can send them the file online and they'll send you the finished project to your doorstep. It's also cheaper in quantity and sounds like a really neat service

nice job! steel would be good and an m16 post would be great! are you talking about interchangeable or just similar? the reason i ask is that if it's interchangeable, they make tritium m16 front sight posts...

i like the open ears too. easier to adjust the front post although on a shotgun, not really necessary most of the time...

Thats what is was thinking, interchangable, (tritium).

I also tried emachineshop, it is easy to draw, but lacks many functions. I won't be using it. I think my local shop is very competetive.

I think I'll try to reduce the size of the clamping block and SHCS's, underneath. Make it a little more esthetically pleasing. May also increase the wall thickness around the barrel, the proportions look off?

Andy

Edited by acgeorge

Hmm a friend just showed me this link since he is building up a (different) shotty. http://www.atigunstocks.com/shotforce-HRNEF.html

They make AR-like Flash hiders for $16.99 MSRP. Looks like it clamps on and has a rail for mounting an accessory although I don't like the idea of a vented slot being right above an expensive flashlight or laser. I don't think you can beat that price though :eek:

They also have a heat shield with an integrated front sight and ghost ring but it doesn't appear to be really useful for us unless we modified and hacked the product down. to our applications.

Wasn't whoever ran the Saiga 12 website going to make one of these? Here's a picture of it... Saiga12_sight1.jpg

What ever happened to that? I think I've even seen one of the russian guys on this board with a pic of his Saiga 12 with this sight on it.

No matter what, I've been interested in the elevated sight. Plus, I think a ghost ring rear sight would be cool. Anyone have plans to make one?

I was told that you can get them at ANY sporting goods store in Russia(as well as the flashsuppressor etc.).

As for AR or AK---I know folks have started making things that are AR fit the AK but to me...that is sacreligious. It is an AK and Id like to leave it that way. make the sight tower use the same pins as a regular AK(so you can make the same adjustments as you would an ak sight)

Just my .02 and it might not be worth much.

Going to go pick up my saiga12 19" screw choke model in an hour and a half...woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Steel

ak post

I would like the closed, I tend to bump my stuff around occasionally and would like it to protect the post from bending.

and I could probably speak for 3 of them too. at least 1 but maybe 3.

and one other idea I just had, what about putting an accessory slot on the bottom of the sight? I don't like the idea of it on the break, sounds kinda dangerous but the sight is going to have the tab on the bottom so why not at least make it look like it serves an extra purpose.

Edited by ATD

1. Steel or aluminum.

Steel

Standard AK for simplicity

Open

If there is ever a version made with the rail on the botton, I would like to see one made without, as well. I really, really, really don't like the idea of mounting any accessories on the barrel, especially near the muzzle. It's just bad mojo and is asking for problems. I have always thought that the handguard on any rifle is the best and safest place to mount an accessory. Just my .02. I hope this deosn't lead to a thread hijack. If so, I appologize now.

That design looks really nice. Tme botom could be trimmed up a bit, though. Also, since the barrel diameter on the S-12s are all the same, how about a version without the tab on the bottom. You could use two pins to hold it in place just like on any standard AK. The guide slots in the barrel would not be that hard to drill for the pins. Plus, this leave the bottom of the sight assy open for an evil bayonet lug

B).

1st

Concept looks great! Do I assume correctly this would work with the existing pistol-type rear sights? If so, I'm in for one.

Material: Steel or Alum, as long it's sufficiently strong.

Sight Post: Could live with either, prefer AR-15.

Hood Design: Open (for easy access to sight blade)

Wow that's looking great! It'd be interesting to see how much they'll charge to get made compared to the possibility of purchasing the Russian version with the brake for $80. Some people might still want one or the other.

I've already ordered a Shotforce flash hider for my Saiga 12 for $20 since I had given up hope on importing some parts...maybe I'll sell it to a friend or keep it if the addition of a front sight is less than $60 (so it'd be equivalent in price to the Russian jobber).

I like the AK style tower, poss. with a bottom rail. Made out of forged steel if possible. Would be nice, to have as a second option, a flip-up front site to use with low mounted optics. Maybe simular to what an AR varmit rifle with bull barrel would use.

Edited by cscharlie