Bolt carrier/bolt replacement

Well, I am considering every possibility if I get Saiga 223. I fully intend to mod it for Galil mags. However, I do not want a pistol handle. I am more than happy with Monte Carlo style stock.

Heck. M14 has the same stock, as did M1 Garand. So for 922r, I need 5 parts: Ok: Trigger group - 3 parts. Flash hider - 1 part. Bolt carrier+bolt - 2 parts. I should be OK there.

However, here is the most important questions. AKs problems with accuracy partially arise from having a heavy mass of Bolt carrier + bolt + piston moving back and forth.

I am wondering, if making them LIGHTER and installing a stronger spring + buffers would affect the accuracy. If so, where can I get a lightweight bolt carrier+bolt+piston for Saiga 223.

Thanx.

If you plan to put in new FCG, you have to move the the trigger forwrard and put in pistol grip. If you like to keep the old stock, you can file and polish the hammer to make your trigger a lot light then stock but still have a lot of travel. I don't know any place that sell lightweight piston and bolt carrier.

*To get 3 US parts right from the get go:*

Put the G2 trigger group in it, you just cut the trigger on the Tapco part off, polish the contacting surfaces too. Reassemle it as it came from the factory.

*Remove 1 Russian part for a total of only 13 Foreign parts:*

Remove the Russian gas piston permanently, plug the gas port up in the gas block, then you don't have to worry about "Bolt carrier + bolt + piston moving back and forth."

Then modify it for the Galil magazine + bullet guide, etcetera...

You'll then have a straight pull carbine that uses full capacity magazines and is compliant.

Edited by MD_Willington
Well, I am considering every possibility if I get Saiga 223. I fully intend to mod it for Galil mags. However, I do not want a pistol handle. I am more than happy with Monte Carlo style stock.

Heck. M14 has the same stock, as did M1 Garand. So for 922r, I need 5 parts: Ok: Trigger group - 3 parts. Flash hider - 1 part. Bolt carrier+bolt - 2 parts. I should be OK there.

However, here is the most important questions. AKs problems with accuracy partially arise from having a heavy mass of Bolt carrier + bolt + piston moving back and forth.

I am wondering, if making them LIGHTER and installing a stronger spring + buffers would affect the accuracy. If so, where can I get a lightweight bolt carrier+bolt+piston for Saiga 223.

Thanx.

Bolt and carrier mass does not adversely impact accuracy or a PSG1 wouldn't be a sub MOA rifle.Inconsistent pressures on the barrel from the handguard and from the piston coming to rest in the gas block as well as uneven pressures stored in the barrel from tightly pressed on parts is what causes an AK problems in the accuracy department.

if the piston can come to rest more consistently and with less pressure you have licked 50% of the problem with handguard pressure being made consistent or relived being another 25% and finally relieving the stress placed in the barrel during manufacture(pressing,lathe turning and mandrel forming being the last 25%.

1.Blueprinting the barrel accessories and fitting them with less uneven pressures.

2.Indexing and truing the piston so it comes to rest the same way every time it slide home.

3.Cryogenic stress relief of stored pressures in the barrel and accessories.

If your headspace is +0.004 Max and your barrel has a good crown a few cryogenic treatments should do wonders for your rifle's accuracy.