Saiga 223 trigger group replacement.

As some of you know, I have a NORINCO hunter in 7.62x39. I been dreaming of finding the same rifle but in 5.56x45, however, such were never made. So, my dreams of machined reciever 21 inch barrel AK rifle are just that.

At least until SAIGA M waltzes in here. Now. Norinco Hunter has one of the best triggers I have ever seen.

http://www.ak-47.us/gear/Gear_Review_Detai...=gear1146776244

No creep, and at most 4 lbs of pressure. Looks like they took a trigger off the shotgun and put it onto AK. I wonder, where I can get such a trigger group?

I will be replacing a SAIGA trigger group for sure. However, I will be keeping the Monte Carlo Stock, as I like it better then pistol handle "evil look" rifle. Besides, in such case 922r does not apply, if I heard correctly.

The reason I need to replace the trigger group is purely to improve accuracy. Now, how do I replace trigger group w/o moving it forward?

Thanx

This is entirely possible, I have done it myself. Oddly enough, I had a Norinco Hunter and have currently a Saiga .223 to which I have added a new US made FCG. I bought the Tapco G2 double hook from DINZAG, who modified it for me to fit. The modification entails cutting off the trigger, and if you wish to use the BHO then also grinding down one side of the hammer. A double hook was used because the "made in usa" mark is in a place where it would be cut off if we had used a single hook. Both will work, the single hook would be less work. Some polishing of the hammer is a good idea but not nessicary. I must say not only is the trigger pull much improved, but that it is as good if not better than the Norinco Hunter. The hunter's trigger is quite nice, but the travel distance is long. On the Saiga the pull seems just a little bit lighter- and much more crisp- almost no travel compared to the Hunter. Part of the reason the Hunter's pull feels light is the extra leverage provided by the LONG trigger, also it uses a double hook which are inherently a bit smoother. I like both very much- for my smaller hands the saiga is prefered now that I have the modified G2 installed.

The procedure to exchange the FCG's is simple, just follow the cross-conn conversion guide up until the point where he begins to drill. DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING! you do not need a drill for this. Just dissasemble, turn the saftey up 90' and pull it out. Then disconnect the shepards hook wire with a set of fine needle nosed pliers from the hammer pin. Pull out the hammer pin, hammer. Then dislodge the shepards hook retaining wire from the trigger pin, and remove the trigger pin, trigger, BHO. Swap out the spring from the saiga disconnector for the new G2 disconnector, and reinstall the parts. the saftey must go in before the Trigger/sear goes in, and there is a lot of fumbling if you have not done this before, especialy with the BHO reinstall- should you choose to do this there is a trick with a piece of string.

here is my original posts after making this modification: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=17649

Edited by JK-47
This is entirely possible, I have done it myself. Oddly enough, I had a Norinco Hunter and have currently a Saiga .223 to which I have added a new US made FCG. I bought the Tapco G2 double hook from DINZAG, who modified it for me to fit. The modification entails cutting off the trigger, and if you wish to use the BHO then also grinding down one side of the hammer. A double hook was used because the "made in usa" mark is in a place where it would be cut off if we had used a single hook. Both will work, the single hook would be less work. Some polishing of the hammer is a good idea but not nessicary. I must say not only is the trigger pull much improved, but that it is as good if not better than the Norinco Hunter. The hunter's trigger is quite nice, but the travel distance is long. On the Saiga the pull seems just a little bit lighter- and much more crisp- almost no travel compared to the Hunter. Part of the reason the Hunter's pull feels light is the extra leverage provided by the LONG trigger, also it uses a double hook which are inherently a bit smoother. I like both very much- for my smaller hands the saiga is prefered now that I have the modified G2 installed.

The procedure to exchange the FCG's is simple, just follow the cross-conn conversion guide up until the point where he begins to drill. DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING! you do not need a drill for this. Just dissasemble, turn the saftey up 90' and pull it out. Then disconnect the shepards hook wire with a set of fine needle nosed pliers from the hammer pin. Pull out the hammer pin, hammer. Then dislodge the shepards hook retaining wire from the trigger pin, and remove the trigger pin, trigger, BHO. Swap out the spring from the saiga disconnector for the new G2 disconnector, and reinstall the parts. the saftey must go in before the Trigger/sear goes in, and there is a lot of fumbling if you have not done this before, especialy with the BHO reinstall- should you choose to do this there is a trick with a piece of string.

here is my original posts after making this modification: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=17649

Thank you:-)

How did you like your Norinco Hunter? For some damned reason, it seems much more comfortable to me then any AK I have held, including the Arsenal stuff. I consistantly get 3.5 groups with it. I swear. This thing is built TIGHT. if you shake it, there is nothing wabbling around. I am so pleased with my Norinco Hunter, it is hard to describe. If I could get another one but in 5.56x45, I would NOT bother with any other rifles. Alas, those are no longer made, and Vepr II in 5.56 is no longer imported. I doubt that Saiga with its flimzy 1mm receiver will match up to milled Norinco Hunter. Alas.

I liked the Hunter. It had some of the nicest machining and internal parts I have seen on an AK. It's build for somone with slightly bigger hands than me however, the grip just feels "fat" to me. Very nice rifle though. Romanian hi caps seem to wobble in the magwell. I'm willing to bet you can get 3-4 MOA out of the .223 Saiga, which is close enough to your Hunter. Especialy if you add the G2 trigger, you should have a rifle that meets your expectations. The ballance between the two is different though, the wood of the Norinco changes the ballance compared to the lightweight plastic of the saiga. The Norinco is certainly heavier, though I haven't weighed it; but the Saiga feels just a little more front-heavy, probably because of the very light weight buttstock. I don't know if your Hunter takes a scope, mine had no provision; the Saiga will probably get the tightest groups with a good scope and of course good ammo.

• 2 weeks later...