Question about ammo

I found some reasonable priced winchester 3 inch magnums loaded with "#1 steel shot" would this be #1 bird or #1 buck? Does all buck ammo contain the words "buckshot" on it?

winchester #1 steel

Which would be about 30 bucks per 100 rounds. what does the shot number mean, genearlly speaking? Would #2 buck be the same size as #2 bird? What does a BB round count as for shotnumber? I

I knew all this stuff in HS but that was ages ago.

Shotgun shot numbers are a description of their size. There are no "bird" sizes and "buck" sizes. The larger the number (7, 8) the smaller the shot size. When you get to about #4 shot (something like .22 cal), that's where it starts to become known as "buck," because that's where people feel comfortable that it may take down a deer. 00-buck (.30 cal) is the most common with a 9-12 shot-count. There is also 0-buck (something like .40-.45 cal) with a four shot-count. #1 is smaller than 00 which is smaller than 0.

Edited by inparidel

Actually OO is bigger than O. In order of size it would go; OOO, OO, O, #1...

A 3 inch magnum OOO is basically 8 X 9mm bullets coming at your ass. Or whatever other part of your body. Imagine bump fireing a full load of OOO rounds using an 8 round magazine. Thats 72 X 9mm bullets coming at you in a matter of seconds. Hope nobody from the BATFE is reading this.

As far as steel shot goes, it isnt recommended to fire steel shot out of full choke, or any other choked for that matter, barrells. A choke compresses the shot to change the pattern that it makes. The steel shot doesnt compress well and you can guess what the results could be. Same goes for shooting a rifled slug. Sabot slugs (my favorite and the only kind I shoot) are OK to shoot out of one but I wouldnt reccomend doing it.

Shotgun ammo

Edited by jimtanker

First, here is a link for the sizes of shot.Shot sizes

A link for the type of slugs for what barrelSlugs

They state that they do not reccommend shooting a rifled slug out of a full choke. What they don't give is the reason. The accurracy is usually real bad. Not that it is unsafe.

Jim, show me where it says steel shot is unsafe for use in any choke. The wad on the steel is over 3 times as thick as a normal lead wad. This takes up the compression that a choke does to the shot. Most of the time that steel has damaged a screw in choke, has been when the choke was not fully seated. Gas gets under the threads, and can split the choke at the worst. Most of the time it will erode the leading edge of the choke and allow carbon to get in the threads and make it difficult to remove.

Another type of damage that can accure is using a very old shotgun with a fixed choke, the barrels were very thin. It can bulge the barrel at the choke. The Sagias don't have this problem as they have the thickest barrel I have ever seen on a shotgun.

Guys, it is real easy. Drop down one size of choke to get the same patterns. If you want a Full choke pattern, use a Mod choke, it is that easy. This is for steel and Heavy-Shot only.

Edited by tomme boy