Has any Saiga owner fired a Sig 550 .223 ?

Sig 550, IMHO is really not worth the money. It costs $1500+. Basically it costs FIVE TIMES what Saiga 223 with 20 inch barrel costs. Unless it is a 1.0MOA rifle, this cost is unjustified.

Think of it this way. YOU ARE PAYING FOR THE NAME SIG. Nothing more, nothing less. The barrel isn't chrome lined. THe balance, while better then in my Norinco Hunter, is not superb. This is NOT Springfield M1A in balance.

Now, there are plenty of rifles out there for less money which offer the same 1-2MOA performance: AR180B comes to mind. From what I heard, Arsenal Milled Rec.ed AKs are not bad at all in accuracy.

Sig 550 is a waste of money IMHO.

The only thing wrong I've noticed from handling the XCR is that it really needed a big name ( :dollar: ) backing it so it wouldn't have taken so many years to get it out to the public. Everytime I ran into those guys they were very informative and easy going but were only selling "pre-orders." For me I'd rather get a piston driven AR upper from POF or LWRC.

Guntech: Are you looking for a comparison with the Sig 550 or the more available 556?

Has any Saiga owner fired a Sig 550 .223 ? Are the Sigs .223 worth the money? :killer:

You sure you do not mean the US made SiG 556? IMO, they are not worth the money. The 556 needs to be improved, in addtion to having sights. The 552's that some contractors are using in Asscrackstan (because everyone knows that M16's/M-4's Mk18's are not reliable?? :huh:) go TU with regularity. Swiss perfection......NOT.

The forward balance on the 556 is not as pronounced as my 16" Siaga, but I would hardly call the 556 I shot well balanced.

Save your money and if you want a Kalsh action, get a Siaga and convert it or spring for a Bulgy.

Also the $1,700 the store is charging is $350-450 too much. The bling-bling factor from the name SiG.

If you are going to spend that kind of money and want a modular type rifle, I would look at one of the gass trap carbine AR configurations that are out now. H&K 416, POF, Bushmaster, ect. I hear even Colt is coming out with their version called the M-5 (not confirmed heard from someone that heard from someone). There are so many accessories availible for this set up. The AR is like a small bolck chevy, you can buy anything for it and bolt it right on.

H&K 416, POF, Bushmaster, ect. I hear even Colt is coming out with their version

I think everyone will have one at some point, it just makes since. I just wish Bushmaster had more than one gas trap model, that the HK 416 would be made here and sold on the US market which HK said it won't do, and that Colt actually gave a crap about producing for the civilian market again. That's why POF is so far my favorite. They offer many models including those with less than 16" barrels which IMO is where there gas piston system shines through....but I digress.... ;)

I think the 550 was well liked, but is hard to find now a days (=expensive) with the 89 import ban. Neat thing about the 556 is its accepting available AR mags, the other changes from the ofiginal 550 I thought were unnecessary.

• 1 month later...
Has any Saiga owner fired a Sig 550 .223 ? Are the Sigs .223 worth the money? :killer:

As a saiga 223 owner I can testify that a sig 550 223 is an exceptionnal rifle to shoot. Precise like a swiss clock and nice to handle thanks to its mainly rubber/plastic parts.

But I woulnd't pay the price nevertheless, cause it's awfully expensive