Magazine conversion jig?

If i have over a dozen mags (I think like 31?) to convert to fit two saiga .223 rifles, would it make any sense to try and build a 'jig' of some kind to hold the magazines to do a uniform conversion on all the mags? I was thinking of something that would align the mags bazed on the two mag catches, then act as a guide for removing materal (maybe make it so you remove to little and do the final fitting by hand).

Or is it so easy I should just do it freehand?

Or would it be saner to modify the rifles instead of the magazines?

You have enough mags to justify modding the gun instead of the mags, IMHO. It is sometiems called the "millitary" modification, in that stock millitary AK 74 mags will fit once the gun itself is modified. Are these .223 mags or AK74 mags (5.45x39mm), or some other type of mag that you want to alter? check out DINZAG's magazine/rifle modification guide: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=12681

Personaly, when i finnaly finish my conversion, I will be going the no-mods to the mag route. I have a bunch of AK74 mags cause they are so darn cheap, and hold out hopes of one day owning a WASR2 or maybe even a classy AK74. (note: ak74 mags will still need some tweaking of the follower and other minor alterations)

Edited by JK-47
You have enough mags to justify modding the gun instead of the mags, IMHO. It is sometiems called the "millitary" modification, in that stock millitary AK 74 mags will fit once the gun itself is modified. Are these .223 mags or AK74 mags (5.45x39mm), or some other type of mag that you want to alter? check out DINZAG's magazine/rifle modification guide: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=at...st&id=12681

Personaly, when i finnaly finish my conversion, I will be going the no-mods to the mag route. I have a bunch of AK74 mags cause they are so darn cheap, and hold out hopes of one day owning a WASR2 or maybe even a classy AK74. (note: ak74 mags will still need some tweaking of the follower and other minor alterations)

Well here is my thinking. I got two rifles, and I still want to use the factory 10 rounders. If I mess up the rifle it'll cost a lot to repair, if I don't modify both rifles to work the same then some mags wont work right in one gun. If I modify the mags then the mags will work in any saiga .223 with a bullet guide.

Well here is my thinking. I got two rifles, and I still want to use the factory 10 rounders. If I mess up the rifle it'll cost a lot to repair, if I don't modify both rifles to work the same then some mags wont work right in one gun. If I modify the mags then the mags will work in any saiga .223 with a bullet guide.

If you don't like how it works, simply unscrew the bolt holding the bullet guide, and you're back to standard configuration. The bullet guide addition is only as permanent as you care to make it.

Read the info on dinzags post.

If you don't like how it works, simply unscrew the bolt holding the bullet guide, and you're back to standard configuration. The bullet guide addition is only as permanent as you care to make it.

Read the info on dinzags post.

I'm know about the bullet guide, i'm not asking about that.

I think i'll just modify the mags, add th bullet guide and then otherwise leave the gun alone.

If you plan to mod 30 mags and you think you can build a jig that will allow you to do it faster and with more precision than doing it one at a time by hand, then by all means do it. If the jig is tuned right you could virtually eliminate the hand fitting.

If you do this take pictures so we can all see how you did it, if everyone around here did things the same way this would be one boring forum.

If you're gonna use a bullet guide, there is no need to modify mags (or am I missing something?)

Not true... at least in my experience. I have a bullet guide in my Saiga. I can still use the factory mags with it. However to use 30 rounders (AK74), I have to mod them to work. The factory mags and the AK74 mags work flawlessly with the bullet guide. Galils, while they will lock in with slight modification, will not feed properly even with the bullet guide in place. My gunsmith looked at it and told me with the Galils (and ProMags, too) the bullet is coming out of the mag a little too low to enter the barrel/ chamber. I've been thinking about beveling the bottom of the barrel to try to resolve this. I just don't know how good an idea that is.