Conversion

Any US made stock or pistol grip for an AK will work (check out K-var.com). Forends will not though, because it lacks the upper and lower handguard retainers and they take some work to put on.

No, it doesn't matter if the nut/screw are US made or not, only the pistol grip itself. :)

I don't think anyones stocks match the factory forends. You could always buy some paint and spray it black.

People who own the AR15 stock convertors like them, but I think they just look odd. Ace has some excellent stock options (if expensive), as well as several different pistol grip designs. Tapco has a folding, synthetic Galil style stock for around $50. Whatever floats your boat.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get an upper handguard to work by simply replacing the gas tube, what do you have to do to get the lower to work? Do you have to weld something onto the barrel (I'm not familiar with the design, the Saiga is my first AK) or preferably, can you fabricate some kind of threaded clamp-on retainer?