Class 3 Dealers License v. FFL

We am debating on whether to get a Class 3 Dealers license or just getting a regular FFL. How hard will it be to get a class 3 license renewed after 08? Will it be possible? Should we just stick to an FFL so we will have 3 years before we have to renew?

The license is the same. You would either get a type 01 FFL which is a standard dealer license or a type 02 which is a standard manufacturing license. Either one allows you to deal (01) or make (02) Title 1 (non-NFA) guns. With either license, if you want to work with title 2 NFA items, you just pay the annual Special Occupational Tax. There is no "application" or "license" approval needed to deal in NFA items. You pay, you play.

Tony

A manufacturer's licence is a 07 ;)

Useless trivia: did you know that if you cut a 1911 slide to accept Bo-mar sights that you have "manufactured" that 1911 since it will no longer accept standard sights?

My dealer/manufacturer licence inspection was last week, and I learned all sorts of interesting things that could only come from the government :rolleyes:

Alex

• 9 months later...

Tony, you are not the first one to mix those two together, The biggest snafu of all time on my liscense was when they issued the SOT to my 02 liscense. I had an 02 and an 07 at the same location, and the numbers on the liscenses where just a couple digits off.........what a mess....VK

Alex is right. I meant 07, not 02.

02 is a Pawnbroker.

Tony