Choke function

I'm also kindaof new to shotguns but I'll give this a shot. The choke(which is at the end of the barrel) controls the rate at which the pellets/bb's will spread after leaving the barrel. The basic 3: Improved Cylinder(IC), Modified, and Full Choke(FC) are what you should be most concerned about.

The IC model of the Saiga 12 has a short barrel as well which means that the spread is going to happen very quick and it is best suited for a home defense gun. You're not going to want to go after bird with this setup.

The FC model has a slightly longer barrel but it is still a very short barrel. The FC slightly compensates for this by reducing the spread. This would be better suited for bird hunting/trap shooting.

The best one in my mind to get is one that you can change out the chokes, however, I can't seem to find any of them(CDNN doesn't have any), so I went with the FC model.

So,

IC=faster spread but less distance

Modified=moderate spread and distance

FC=slower spread but more distance

There are other chokes, but for a beginner, these are the only ones you need to know.

I'd just like to add that barrel length in and of itself has no bearing on the shot spread , that is an old wifes tale that used to be only partially true.

the thing is that by cutting an old school fixed choke barrel down you'd cut off the choke and get a wider pattern, but you'll get a similar pattern from a full choke 18.1" barrel as a full choke 30" barrel.

also here are some good links Ive collected.

http://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/Tech...e/9-Jun-03.html

http://www.colonialarms.com/chokespecs.html

http://www.remington.com/accessories/chokspec.htm

several companies can adapt your saiga to take modern American style screw in chokes this company cut my barrel and rem choked it for about 75 bucks i think.

http://www.colonialarms.com/

There are different versions of the Saiga. It can be bought both with a fixed choke or as a removable choke.

No, a choke is not a muzzle device. It is a standard part of almost any shotgun out there. Also probably because you can not see the device, therefore it isn't dangerous :rolleyes: Really, I think the devices that are/were illegal are the ones that changed the length of the barrel when removed and were removable. Something like that. Anyway about, it is not an issue in the parts count.

Not sure about slugs.

first off..yes , saigas have a fixed or detachable choke..lol...sorry..the threaded models are detachable , the others are not , regardless ....it is not certain if the chokes are considered muzzle devices , but i would bet on them being considered so , just to be safe...and , actually , it is best if you have absolutely NO choke if you want to shoot slugs ...this is a subject of some protracted debate on this forum , but , you CAN shoot slugs thru a choke although its not recommended by some...again..best bet , if you want to shoot slugs , dont get a fixed full choke model , its always good to have options...you are best off with no choke or an improved cylinder choke...either way , slugs are gonna be hard on your choke tubes , if not the barrel..a choke is kinda like a funnel for shot , more choke = less shot spread & potentially more range...less choke = more splatter ( room wrecker)..a slug is ( of course ) a large piece of soft metal , if you use a choke with it you are forcing that piece of metal thru a funnel before it leaves the barrel (in simplest terms)...as far as the pg conversion goes , as long as you get US made fire controll group( hammer/trigger/sear), US made grip and stock , your parts count will be ok , even with the muzzle device...i have a Russian made brake on mine..

• 2 weeks later...

I've checked the EAA website, and aside from individual chokes, they also sell a choke set. It includes mod and full chokes, thread, and protector. Is this set to be added to plain barrels (i.e. if I cut And recrown to 18.5")? Does it attach to outside of the barrel or to the bore? What exactly does the protector protect and against what?

Edited by ozone_00