out of box malfunctioning 7.62

i just finally recieved my saiga 7.62 from onpointsupply.com. i loved it , and dont get me wrong..but i took it to the range today to fire it for the first time. first 4 or 5 rounds were okay. then it stopped firing. looking at the ammo, (some russian brand ina cardboard box i got from a gunshow) the firing pin didnt even touch them. i changed the ammo and slammed the action forward when loading a fresh mag. this made it fire...okay. but after about 6 or 7 rounds it would stop firing. the slide does NOT come back every time to eject the shells and load a new round. it seems as if the bolt doesnt come all the way forward. some of the indentations on the primers look pretty shallow. anyone have experience with this. i do NOT know how to open the reciever cover...as the instructions ive read must be for another gun? it looks like there is a pin i can push in where there SHOULD be a pressable buttom on a standard ak. anyone have any experience with this, and know if there is any kind of warranty on imported guns throguh russian american army?

I'd call RAA, have the gun with you when your on the phone with them in case they have "tech support" handy.

If not they seem to have a pretty good track record of simply saying "send it back, we'll send you a new one"

Other than that...did you try another brand of ammo? I don't think thats it because it sounds like there is something loose/in the way of the carrier. You should check out the field strip AK video

and at least know how to get that cover off and take a look inside. Most guys run a patch down the barrel before shooting in case of oil/ cleaner/something that isn't supposed to be there in the barrel

If ya can crack it open take a pic of the inside for us (if your able to)

i cant tell you how much i apreciate the fast response. heres the deal. ive watched all those videos, and after posting...i new id have to have more informatino. after about 10 minuets with a screw driver i got that cover off. im a prety strong guy....but it feels like the tolerance between the housing that the stock screws onto and the recieve cover is too tight? if i get a flathead screwdrive and press the reciever release button, i can PRY it off...but i DO mean pry. toget it back i literally have to smack it down while pressing the button. pressing QUITE firmly will not slide it into place, im talking forcefully. i doubt this has anything to do with the firing issue. i'll try to get a picture of the guts up tonight for you guys. once again thanks.

Txko, Welcome to the Forum. 1st - sorry you had that happen. My new x 39 had a similar prob. (documented here about 2 weeks ago....I was up 'til 5 am that night just getting the cover off first, then getting it back on after a good cleaning. (Before I shot It at the Range) But the cover was the only prob. I had - mine fires flawlessly. I clean it good after each firing, and the cover is getting easier and easier to deal with. I ended up laying the gun on its side that 1st night and striking a hammer blow at a 45 degree angle onto the cover 'button' using a plastic dowel directly against the button to get it to come off the first time. Then to get it back on, I had to seat the front of the cover in that slot by the gas tube, and hold it with my left hand, postiion the button hole in the proper place and just wack down hard with the butt of my right palm Many Times before it would catch into place! Now it pops off pretty easily, and goes back on with just a few trys 'wacking' it with my palm! (LOL).

But I just Love my Saiga now....That first night however, I was about to sledge hammer it to death!! (read the topic 'stuck reciever cover' I posted the other night!) These guys here helped me, and we got her done! Now she's just an awesome weapon, as is really. Hope you can figure out the prob....just listen to the great experts here - they can help more than me. When you take off the cover again....here's what I use to clean mine: 1) Break Free CLP for the bolt/piston assembly and trigger mechanism, etc. 2) Hoppe's #9 on a patch down the bore, twirling as you go in and out. Someone here told me that Hoppes is better on the bore. You can get Both at Wal-Mart.

p.s.- yours makes about the 3rd new Saiga recently with some firing problems, as posted here.

I would say first, to take some gun scrubber or the like to the entire action, to clean it out, especially the firing pin and contact areas of, and then put two drops of oil on each contact point in the FCG and all other parts first.

okay i took it apart and foudn the problem. i noticed it before but now that i see how the rifle works i understand the problem.

When taken apart, the part on the bolt that rotates and contains the firing pin NORMALLY rotates into place fine. for SOME reason when a bullet is in chamber (there isnt enoguh clearance?) , it doesnt rotate and allow the rest of the action to close completely. it looks to me honestly as if the bullet wont fit in the chamber (id say maybe the rim extens 2 or 3mm past flush with the opening, and possibly that is the problem? i avent seen what it looks like on a problem free rifle, so i cant say for sure. anyone have this problem before? i took the whole thing apart, cleaned it with hopppes and OILED it GOOOOD. the rifle is BRAND new and only had about 15 rounds (thats all that fired) through it.

more specifically it is the saiga 7.62 with the 16" barrel, no pics yet sory guys. im sure i COULD be wrong as to this, but basically when you cock the charging handle, the action catches before it closes completely, and taking it apart and a vigorous cleaning caused no change.

Edited by txko

If I'm understanding correctly, then it sounds like it could be a serious problem. If head space is wrong, not allowing the bolt to lock up correctly before detination of the cartriage, IT COULD BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HELATH! LIKE BLOW YOUR FACE OFF!

DO NOT FIRE IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either take it to a Gun Smith and have head space checked, or return it to were you bought it.

If you have a digital camera maybe you could post some pictures here of it . Edited to add: a pic may help us confirm what the is happening with it.

Edited by cscharlie
If I'm understanding correctly, then it sounds like it could be a serious problem. If head space is wrong, not allowing the bolt to lock up correctly before detination of the cartriage, IT COULD BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HELATH! LIKE BLOW YOUR FACE OFF!

DO NOT FIRE IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either take it to a Gun Smith and have head space checked, or return it to were you bought it.

If you have a digital camera maybe you could post some pictures here of it . Edited to add: a pic may help us confirm what the is happening with it.

as soon as my gf gets off i'll upload a picture of it on her camera phone. and yeah, the firing pin is against the round, BUT the action isnt closed.... it looks like if pull the trigger most of the gas/whatever from the round would shoot out that opening in the reciever cover

Edited by txko