CONFRIMING Mastermolder feed on stock saiga

I just picked up some mastermolder mags at a gun show I visisted. They feed fine and the quality seems good. I have had no problems with breaking of FTF as of yet and I have put about 100 rounds through them.

It seems like a few people on the board have bad experiences with these mags, mine seem fine...am I just lucky or what???

Guys, the follower is NOT marked. I don't know if you could "prove" it was all US made. I have disassembled mine and the floor plate and body are clearly marked "Made In USA"; the follower has no such marking. Just something to keep in mind when doing your 922r parts count.

If the magazine and floor plate are US marked there's no need to label the follower since it's a US made magazine.

The other American AK magazine maker is Pro Mag, I haven't tried mine in the Saiga but they work flawlessly in AKs. I tried them in other people's AKs as well. They do expand in humid weather because they are made of nylon which absorbs water. This will happen to other maker's polymer mags made of nylon (Bulgarian, Polish, etc.).

I ordered 2 before i even had my rifle. They work perfectly, even with Softpoints. The ONLY thing you need to do is very slightly shave down the tapered side of the mag catch on the mag-release side. it's such a tiny amount you can do it with a box-cutter. Took about 5 mins to do by hand but it's in there tighter than the 10rd that came with it. Rock solid. I pulled back and released the bolt 30 times and no problems. I took off my front hand guard before i did the test to remain 922r compliant. :devil:

I doubt the Promag magazines will work in an unmodified Saiga. The MasterMolder mags were not designed to fit the Saiga, they were simply a newly designed AK mag. When I heard of these, I was curious to see what they looked like since I always try to have at least one of each type of mag available.

I finally found some at a gun show, and what tipped me off to the idea that the MasterMolder mags "Might" work on an unmodified Saiga was that when I looked at it carefully I noticed the front didn't have the traditional drop off that most AK mags do. Since the lack of this drop is one of the two differences between regular AK mags and stock Saiga mags (the other difference is the thinner mag catch), I thought I might be on to something which is what inspired me to try it out. My particular Saiga however always accepted AK mags, it just wouldn't feed from them which is why I requested verification from others once I verified it works on mine.

It sounds like most people have had good results with these, but a couple of people have had a few problems such as failures to feed. I experienced on myself, but didn't think much of it since otherwise the mag had loaded perfectly which I'd never been able to accomplish with a regular AK mag on my Saiga.

I never thought of trying the Promag magazines since they have the same shape as the regular mags which don't work on Saigas. I suppose it's possible they might work, but I don't see how.

• 2 weeks later...
I never thought of trying the Promag magazines since they have the same shape as the regular mags which don't work on Saigas. I suppose it's possible they might work, but I don't see how.

I just want to put out there that I have a set of these Promag mags in clear that I got from Centerfire Systems in May, 5 months ago. Upon showing a friend my AK and how it works, I found that one magazine has a crack on the left side at the rear of the left case lip at the very top of the body. Has anyone experienced problems with the plastic on these mags? I'm sending this back in two days and then they'll send me a replacement. I'm thinking of trying the MM magazines to see how they work.

I like the MM mags! First I ordered 1 just to test it. I dremeled it, Front side and Back side to match my stock 10 rd. Tested at range - No Probs. (slight wobble) Then I had some probs. finding more, but now they have them at CDNN for 12.99 (link was previously posted above). I ordered 3 more.

But this time I tried just working on ONE side first to see if it would catch on my unmodified 7.62 Saiga. I lined up the MM mag to the stock one, and it looked like I needed to shave off about 2 mm on the UNDERSIDE of the REAR mag catch lip on the mag. Took out my 1/2 serrated pocket knife, scribed a starting line w/ the regular part of the blade, then just used the serrated edge to saw off the proper ammount. Took about a minute. Works like a charm, no wobbles - so I did it to all the rest....wala! Now I have 4 MM 30 rounders - marked USA on one side (and by the way it's maked "LAW & GOV'T USE ONLY" on the other side).

The mag is well built and solid, I doubt it would ever crack or break , even if thrown to the ground. The only other mod I do to mine is to round off the rear bottom edges with a file because they are very sharp from the factory.

Now to use these mags per 922r, all you need to do is add, I believe (?), one more US made part. (MM mags count for 3 US parts I believe). I chose to just bolt on an ACE folding PG/Stock set (2 US parts), so there you have it!

A 922r compliant Saiga 7.62 w/ PG and 30 round mags.! No Gunsmithing Required! (just don't sitck in the old 10 rd stock mag...you'll fall out of compliance by 2 parts). But, if you want to use the Russian 10 rounders (hunting, etc.) you can easily just bolt on the original stock and return to legal imported version.