Disconnector Spring

I'm about to convert my 308 too, so I haven't done it myself, but maybe using a pair of standard (not needlenose, the kind with the slip joint so they go bigger) pliers from the rear of the assembly might work. I got a "reduced tension" AK spring for mine, I'd heard that the factory spring doesn't fit in any of the aftermarket triggers.

Another idea that just came to me (meaning it probably won't work, but there is a chance) would be to use a flexible wire, such as picture-hanging wire and thread it through withought the spring, then let some slack in and put the spring in and then tighten up on the wire somehow and put a thin rigid something in and from there put your receiver pin in. I dunno, it made sense in my head.

Best of luck with your project!

Acer

Thanks for the help. I tried something along those lines. I used some heavy planer board line and a pair of channel locks. I found that once I finally got a pin in place that the spring was too long even after I had cut 1/4" off of it already. I also bent the spring in the process. I cut approximately another 1/8" off and it's not only easier to put in but also functions more like the original when in place. I'll probably still order a replacement spring since this one is bent, and too wide for the disconnector spring seat. This should work in the meantime.

This sounds really weird.

If you have a factory AK TYPE trigger group I agree it's difficult but try this. Take a 5mm drill bit or extra trigger, hammer or sear pin and cut a bit off one side. Assemble the trigger group using the cut-off pin as a 'slave' pin and drop the assembly into place. Push your trigger pin IN while pushing the slave pin OUT.

There is NO reason to cut your disconnector spring if the parts are right. Very bad idea IMO.

Aftermarket AK type trigger groups have a sleeve so the above process is not needed.

Get back to me via PM or E-mail if you need more help.

This sounds really weird.

If you have a factory AK TYPE trigger group I agree it's difficult but try this. Take a 5mm drill bit or extra trigger, hammer or sear pin and cut a bit off one side. Assemble the trigger group using the cut-off pin as a 'slave' pin and drop the assembly into place. Push your trigger pin IN while pushing the slave pin OUT.

There is NO reason to cut your disconnector spring if the parts are right. Very bad idea IMO.

Aftermarket AK type trigger groups have a sleeve so the above process is not needed.

Get back to me via PM or E-mail if you need more help.

I ended up using a tapper pin for the slave.

The original disconnector spring was too long in it's orriginal condition for my new FCG. When I put the disconnector spring in the new disconnector, the disconnector srping hung out 1/4" longer than when it was in the original disconnector. I had to cut it to make things work. After cutting off 1/4" I did manage to get things lined up on the slave pin, but the spring was so tight that the disconnector had almost no movement at all. It needed to be trimmed down some more than the initial 1/4". I'm using an FSE FCG that someone sold me, and it doesn't even have room for a sleeve, nor did it come with one. I'll eventually order another disconnector spring, but in the mean time the old one will hopefully work. My only concern is that it is wider than the disconnector spring seat.

I appreciate the offer for help. I'll be sure to take you up on it if I run into more problems.

Thanks

Edited by ghostrider