Hi -

1. Will a Saiga .223 also take surplus 5.56 ammo?

2. Can I mount a scout scope on it? How and what parts? Will I be violating the law if I do so?

3. Are there problems with "canting" on the front sight posts like other AK rifles?

4. What is the major drawback to a Saiga in .223?

5. What kind of accurarcy out to 200 yards? 6 inches?

7. How easy is it to take apart and repair? Is it just like an AK internally?

8. Primary use will be for a self-defense rifle, can I do any better for the cost of a Saiga?

9. What tools should I keep on hand for the rifle?

Thanks.

1) yes

2) yes, there is a mounting rail on the side for combloc scope mounts. No, I don't think they have "assault scope" laws, yet, but give them time.

3) No, these are proudly made at the same plants as the AK100 rifles.

4) There is a drawback?

5) It will be more accurate than you, most likely.

6) question missing from original post

7) Yes, it's just like an AK for the most part. Complete disassembly should not be necessary.

8) Not in my opinion

9) It comes with a nice tool set. Read more about it here

Edited by nalioth
Hi -

8. Primary use will be for a self-defense rifle, can I do any better for the cost of a Saiga?

Thanks.

Get the 16" and no (unless you get a bigger caliber Saiga). It's reliable, easy to use, and an abso-frickin'-lutely amazing deal!

With the standard AK scope mount you can put on a laser, light, holo sight.... all the tacticool home defense stuff!

Bill

Ridge Runner,

Less than a month ago, I bought a Saiga .223. It's my first rifle. I'm seriously thinking about buying another couple of Saigas, another .223 for my wife and perhaps a .308 just for fun.

Buy it. You won't regret it. Even if you decide to upgrade later, this can go to the back of the safe for rainy day fun or emergencies.

The internals are pretty simple, it's easy to take down and clean, and it's an absolute pleasure to shoot.

The only downside is that you must do the whole conversion process if you want to use higher capacity magazines (it comes stock with 10 round mags). It's really not that big of a deal, $120 in parts (stock, grip, & trigger kit), just a couple of hours and a small selection of tools.

I just got the S223 the other day and it's a joy to shoot, well worth every penny.

2) I've got on order a detachable scope mount from Gilbert's Guns. It should allow you to mount a scope and unmount it to use iron sights w/o losing zero.

9) I still haven't figured out all the uses of the tool set that comes with the Saiga, but I don't think there is any way to adjust the front sight for windage. You can order one from MidwayUSA for fairly cheap.

9) I still haven't figured out all the uses of the tool set that comes with the Saiga, but I don't think there is any way to adjust the front sight for windage.
You can adjust the front sight for elevation and windage. There is a tool in the cleaning kit to adjust the post up and down, and the cylinder that the sight post screws into can be drifted left or right as needed. There are windage adjustment tools available where they sell AK stuff.

Great rifle and very accurate once sighted in.

One thing though...

"3. Are there problems with "canting" on the front sight posts like other AK rifles?"

3) No, these are proudly made at the same plants as the AK100 rifles.

That is not always true. Rarely some do make it over here with badly canted FSBs. I have seen them.

9) I still haven't figured out all the uses of the tool set that comes with the Saiga, but I don't think there is any way to adjust the front sight for windage.
You can adjust the front sight for elevation and windage. There is a tool in the cleaning kit to adjust the post up and down, and the cylinder that the sight post screws into can be drifted left or right as needed. There are windage adjustment tools available where they sell AK stuff.

Sorry, I shoulda clarified. You can adjust for windage by drifting the post left or right, but the Saiga doesn't come with a tool to do that. The manual says to adjust it by using a hammer! But yikes, I know it's an AK an all and could take a beating, but the thought of that scares me. :cryss: So, yeah anywhere you can get AK parts, you can buy the C clamp to adjust the front sights.