After finding some quality ammo that patterns well, I have decided to use my S-20 in a home defense role.

I currently have one 2 3/4" 5 round mag and one 3" 5 round mag.

I would like to get a few more of each 5 rounders and even a few 9-10 rounders.

I have seen the Franken mags and that is a possibility however I am worried about the durability of them.

Are there any sources for the 5/9-10 round mags?

Is anyone looking at manufacturing a 10 round S-20 mag?

Thanks

On a side note, what kind of slugs are best to shoot through the S-20's smooth barrel?

Thanks

Edited by millsusaf
After finding some quality ammo that patterns well, I have decided to use my S-20 in a home defense role.

I currently have one 2 3/4" 5 round mag and one 3" 5 round mag.

I would like to get a few more of each 5 rounders and even a few 9-10 rounders.

I have seen the Franken mags and that is a possibility however I am worried about the durability of them.

Are there any sources for the 5/9-10 round mags?

Is anyone looking at manufacturing a 10 round S-20 mag?

Thanks

On a side note, what kind of slugs are best to shoot through the S-20's smooth barrel?

Thanks

As for the availibility of the mags... I'm having a hard time finding the 2 3/4 ones myself. I've found that the remington sluggers, the peters high velocity and the winchester slugs all fly exactly the same out of mine. Good and cheap too.

Edited by rebelyell

Care to share the type of ammo your S20 is patterning well with?

As for slugs, I'd say any of them will do. They'll all hit like a sledgehammer, and for HD distances, I doubt that accuracy will be very different.

For hunting, you need to buy several types and test in your own shotgun. Individual firearms are well known to prefer different ammo types.

• 2 months later...
I wouldn't worry about the durability if I made them.

(I'm basically new to the shotgun side of the forum, so this is probably a really stupid question, but has anyone looked at .303 Bren mags to see if they could be modified to handle 20 gauge rounds? Just 'guess-timating,' but length & width might be about right, although I imagine they have too much curve to 'em to make high capacity mags. I did a search here under "Bren" and didn't find a thing. Thanks in advance! ;>)

bren.bmp

What Cobra Said. In the role of HD, your mags will spend 99% of thier life just sitting there, .99999% of the time they'll be used in practice and the rest of the time they'll actually defend your home.

As for springs, I personally don't know, but I'd look into 308 rifle mag springs?

And for HD distances you can't buy a slug that is too poor performing to use.

BadBob, why mess with another mag that may not give you reliability when you can buy 10 rounders (England)?

BadBob, why mess with another mag that may not give you reliability when you can buy 10 rounders (England)?

As I mentioned, I'm new to the shotgun side of the forum. Based on what I've read here (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=21643, for example), I didn't even know 10-rd mags for the 20 gauge existed. The only 20 gauge Saiga mags I had ever seen for sale are the 5-rd mags, and folks seem to want as much for one of those as they want for the 10-rd 12 gauge mags (which means that welding a pair together costs 'an arm AND a leg' ;>).

Based on your post, I went looking online, and found references to $25 5-rd mags ("out of stock") and $96 10-rd mags (also "out of stock"). Nice to learn something new, but $96 a pop for plastic 20 gauge mags (even if they were available) kind of 'jumps the shark,' as far as I'm concerned. I asked about Bren mags, because with Bren mags going for $6 (not $96) each, I figured experimenting would be cheap, and that someone might have done that by now (apparently not).

I don't own a Saiga shotgun yet (it will be my next purchase) - I guess I'll pay the extra for a 12, even though I prefer 20s.

Thanks!

;>)

As I mentioned, I'm new to the shotgun side of the forum. Based on what I've read here (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=21643, for example), I didn't even know 10-rd mags for the 20 gauge existed. The only 20 gauge Saiga mags I had ever seen for sale are the 5-rd mags, and folks seem to want as much for one of those as they want for the 10-rd 12 gauge mags (which means that welding a pair together costs 'an arm AND a leg' ;>).

Based on your post, I went looking online, and found references to $25 5-rd mags ("out of stock") and $96 10-rd mags (also "out of stock"). Nice to learn something new, but $96 a pop for plastic 20 gauge mags (even if they were available) kind of 'jumps the shark,' as far as I'm concerned. I asked about Bren mags, because with Bren mags going for $6 (not $96) each, I figured experimenting would be cheap, and that someone might have done that by now (apparently not).

I don't own a Saiga shotgun yet (it will be my next purchase) - I guess I'll pay the extra for a 12, even though I prefer 20s.

Thanks!

;>)

Exactly where I was. $40 10rd s-12 mags, $180 s-12 20rd drum. Ammo prices being equal... 12 just seemed like the right way to go.

Maybe a silly excuse to buy another gun but here goes......if you like the 20, buy another one for a spare since they are still available and at a reasonable price, and now you have a total of 4 factory 5 round mags to play with. I have a 20 and a 12 and actually like the 20 a little more since it is quicker to recover from recoil and the loaded mags seat easier with the bolt closed than the 12 ga...just a thought

Maybe a silly excuse to buy another gun but here goes......if you like the 20, buy another one for a spare since they are still available and at a reasonable price, and now you have a total of 4 factory 5 round mags to play with. I have a 20 and a 12 and actually like the 20 a little more since it is quicker to recover from recoil and the loaded mags seat easier with the bolt closed than the 12 ga...just a thought

Thanks! It's worth considering, with S-20s going for $300 ($290 w/ discount) at Classic Arms, vs. $450+++ for S-12s, just about anywhere you can find one...

;>)