Just bought a pawn shop Saiga-12

I found a used, but almost like new, Saiga-12 at a pawn shop yesterday. I've seen them at gun shows a time or two and have wanted one but the prices were always pretty high. Anyway, this one had just been put out for sale. When I looked at it I knew I had to try one. It has a 19 inch plain barrel and is still factory standard as best I can tell. The magazine holds 5 rounds and the gun is imported by EAA. The price was $225. Now that I am a Newbie Saiga-12 owner I was wondering where I can find an owners manual and what capacity magazines work best. I was thinking about either 8 or 10 rounders. Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

I found a used, but almost like new, Saiga-12 at a pawn shop yesterday. I've seen them at gun shows a time or two and have wanted one but the prices were always pretty high. Anyway, this one had just been put out for sale. When I looked at it I knew I had to try one. It has a 19 inch plain barrel and is still factory standard as best I can tell. The magazine holds 5 rounds and the gun is imported by EAA. The price was $225. Now that I am a Newbie Saiga-12 owner I was wondering where I can find an owners manual and what capacity magazines work best. I was thinking about either 8 or 10 rounders. Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

Good deal. Where the hell is that pawn shop?? I want to see what else they have!

Russian 8 rounders are around $100+ IF you can fine them, US made 10 rounders a readily available for $50. You will defiantly want to convert it to the standard Pistol grip configuration, its WAY easier than you would think, there are two or three very good guides around with plain step by step instructions. If you want to put the extra money forward and let a gunsmith do the conversion; Tromix, Redstick firearms, E-Tac do amazing work on them. Tromix isn't taking orders till 'bout 2009. E-Tac is taking orders right now.

If you need information on parts needed for a DIY conversion theres plenty of threads active right now with links and info.

Link to E-Tac:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=20368

Edited by Genocide
yeh, shop name, and FFL # please. I want to buy their stock out, if thats their pricing schedule........

EAA owner's manual is in my signature line..........

Haha, I would too If I didn't already sink 1000 in my current S12 conversion.

holy shit that's a good deal. since the 8 rounders are rare and expensive, most everybody has the 10 rounders from AGP. a lot of people have issues with them, but they work flawlessly for others. if you don't mind waiting, i would wait for the 10 round mags that mike davidson is going to make. check out his business section on the forum for other goodies like drum mags, mag wells, etc.

As the others have said, $225 for an S12 is an awesome deal! The new ones are running in the $450 range!

Take some time and do some reading in the S12 forum. The 10-rd AGP mags are a great way to go, but there are some legal issues you have to resolve before you use them. (You'll learn a lot about 922R compliance!) The conversion is easy, fun and definitely worth it!

Congrats on a great buy -- now, go shoot it!

Jim