Saiga 12 Factory mag problem

Just got my Saiga-12 and the factory 5rd mag will not lock into place. I am assuming I need to take a dremel to the rear plastic lug where the lever will clear it.

Is the the normal fix?

This happens if the mag is loaded or unloaded, bolt closed or open. I can see the mag latch is not catching the lug.

Sorry, I can't seem to find the procedure on the board - when doing a search all kinds of unrelated things come up.

Thanks in advance.

PICS:

Rear view, bad mag on right:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Front view, bad mag on left:

4.JPG

Edited by efarmer21

is the mag not locking it because the rear tab is too thick? is it not locking it due to the mag being too wide? too long? some of the guns seem to be "tighter" than other guns, usually isnt an issue with the 5rders, russian 8s have problems. If you bought the mag new (ie in the wrap) there is a note that says "some fitting may be needed" or along those lines. Whatever you attack, do it slowly and check often ie probally a hand file/sandpaper as opposed to a dremel (yes i know i'm impatient too).

Before filing the rear lug, make shure the front isn't too thick first. That is where I have found a couple mags to be poorly moulded. I had one that woul feed just fine-when it didn't fall out!

Carefully compare problem mag to one that works before removing material - it is hard to put the plastic back!

This is a common problem with the Saiga 12. So common that the factory puts out a fix for it. I had it with my own gun. I have triued to attach it here, but it is too large. Send me an email address and I will mail it to you. But before you go that route my advice would be to try several other magazines in the shotgun. I tried 13 magazines in my shotgun, AGP and factory, none would lock in.

That convinced me that the catch was too long. Rather then cut every magazine that intended to use with the gun I chose to shorten the mag catch. I just dropped the mag, held the mag catch down as far a possible, then took my mini-Dremel to it. It took a while, but now my shotgun locks in all mags. HTH

Check the front of the receiver where the mag goes in. MANY times it will be dented inward slightly which will prevent the mag from locking in or put the magazine in a bind as it locks in. About 15% of the Saiga's have that problem. Just put a large screwdriver under the sheet metal and pry it up so it's flat.

Tony

Thanks to everyone for their advice and suggestions.

I fixed the problem. Apparently, the rear lug was too tall as I had suspected. I took an emery board to it (courtesy of my wife :unsure: ), and filed a little, inserted, filed a little, inserted, etc. about 20 minutes later, the mag was locking into place!

Hopefully, my future mags will not be this much trouble.