thread protector for open , full choke is quite tight

giving a dinner size pattern at 40 - 50 yards , I think

75 yards is a bit far for shot ,

mediums good to use as the full choke is sometime too tight

at around 20 -30 yards

if you want to shot past 50 use slugs with the thread protector

on

Joeddox,

The tighter the constriction the tighter the pattern ... well most of the time. The other thing you'd want to check is the shells you use. Differing shot sizes will pattern differently, shot type makes a huge difference (steel vs lead vs all the others). Lastly, the brand of shell makes a difference too. Best example of this is 00 buck, some patterns better in some guns than others. but that's also true for the smaller shot too.

Get ideas from the net, but then go test them in the field.

A Full choke (Marked (F 1,0) on the ejection side of your Saiga if NOT equipped with an internal or external choke) will give tightest patterns for 'most' birdshot, at least in theory at distances to 50 yards maximum.

75 yards is a bit far for any shotgun. What loads are you using ? If Slug for Deer or other medium size game you certainly don't want an adjustable choke as the slug may harm the choke no matter what it's set on/adjusted to.

Let us know what you're shooting AT and with what load and we'll do our best to assist you.

I'm shooting at these nasty paper targets :-)

I'm using 00 buck.

Also talking about slugs. Since its smooth crome bore do saiga's need to use non-rifled slugs?

Also anyone want to post a link for me for a good tight choke that would work with 00 buck?

Lastly if the choke is too tight is it going to ruin my barrel or be huge recoil or something?

Thanks guys for so far.

• 2 weeks later...