Has anyone seen this Saiga .410 version before?

Hi.

I have a Saiga .410 i bought many years ago (1994 production) and i found something that looks like a thread protector but there are no threads on the barrel itself.

The barrel is choked but not like the ones i have seen here.

My barrel has a gradual reduction of the inside diameter from the very start to the barrel nozzle by 0,6mm

and the gun's body is stamped with the markings" 10,3mm S0,6 " (probably it means Bore=10,3mm choke-0,6mm)

Attached is a photo of my Saiga .410 barrel and the piece i found.

Chris

post-8332-1195765503_thumb.jpg

Edited by hendrix
Hi.

I have a Saiga .410 i bought many years ago (1994 production) and i found something that looks like a thread protector but there are no threads on the barrel itself.

My barrel has a gradual reduction of the inside diameter from the very start to the barrel nozzle by 0,6mm

and the gun's body is stamped with the markings" 10,3mm S0,6 " (probably it means Bore=10,3mm choke-0,6mm)

Chris

while i havent taken mine off, i have the same end and wondered what it was.

Hi.

Chris

while i havent taken mine off, i have the same end and wondered what it was.

Is yours also with the fixed choke barrel without the threads?

Unfortunately i got one of the very first Saigas and from what i found the next shipment had the threaded add on choke.

I think i will go for the Vepr molot 12 this time after some of those are already sold in order to catch any improvements.

The only thing i don't know is if this 20 round drum magazine from MD arms will fit to this gun.

I also hope that a drum magazine will eventually come out for the Saiga .410

Chris

This is the full bore choke. There is another slightly longer and tapered choke that also came with later models. There's some screwy metric left hand thread on them. A little wrench was also provided. I use the choke for #4 shot as it improves the pattern slightly. I use the full bore for buckshot and slugs, as the choke seems to scatter the pellets.

The factory 410 barrel threads are M15.0x0.75LH.

I've never seen one without the barrel threaded - 'cept yours...

I think i got one of the very first guns, preproduction maybe.

It has absolutely no threads where you can fit a choke. The barrel and the choke is one piece.

I also found that the barrel base threading ( where the barrel is attached to the gun body)

is not the same as the other local Saiga 410.

Does anybody knows if you can interchange an AK 47 barrel with the Saiga .410 barrel?

Mine can, i can screw in a normal AK 47 barrel to the Saiga i got.

The funny thing is that the manual says about the 2 position gas settings and the removable chokes

It is evident that the gun i got is not what the manual describes.

One final note is that it looks easy to make the gun fire select capable.

Surely it can't be that easy can it?

Chris

Edited by hendrix

Aside from galils - valmets maybe? - any other AK barrels I have seen are press fit, not threaded.

You saying your barrel unscrews from the receiver?

The built/forged in choke is common on certain models of 12's & 20's, haven't heard of it on the 410's.

Aside from galils - valmets maybe? - any other AK barrels I have seen are press fit, not threaded.

The built/forged in choke is common on certain models of 12's & 20's, haven't heard of it on the 410's.

Yes it can be unscrewed... unless my gunsmith doesn't know.

He told me that the newer Saigas are fixed but mine can be unscrewed (with tools not by hand) and have the barrel changed.

Of course what good could it be to have an AK47 riffled barrel in the Saiga 410?

Unless of course the saiga 410 can accept the AK ammo (i really don't know if this is possible).

Edited by hendrix

You got me thinking and i went to check the barrel again as i am not an expert with guns.

The barrel looks like it has threads but i can't be sure.

The pressed barrel has something like thin fins or it is smooth where it enters the gun's body?

There is a gap between the barrel and the guns body and i can't understand if there are threads in there or small thin fins for the pressing.

I will try to take a very close picture.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention because i had the idea that the barrel was screwed in.

Chris

If he can do that, I'd like to see pics of it removed - has he done this before? Just wondering how he determined the barrel was threaded?

Here is a closeup so i can finally find out the truth.

Thank you in advance for your information.

Of course the gun need a little cleaning up. :rolleyes:

Chris

post-8332-1195916512_thumb.jpg

post-8332-1195917871_thumb.jpg

Edited by hendrix
Looks exactly like the two I have here - more than likely it's pressed in.

Well one thing i found is that there are people here that know more than the local experts.

I was thinking of having the barrel resized in order to have a cylinder instead of a choked barrel

but now i think i will leave it like that because i am almost certain that they will ruin my gun.

It would be nice i thought, that if they ruin my gun i can always change the barrel easily....

You lucky Americans.... (what i mean is that i would buy every Saiga model with the prices you have there)

(Tried to post this and i got an IPS error ???? )

Chris

Edited by hendrix

WOW! Finally! After all this time on thee Saiga forum, I have finally seen another .410 like mine is set up, with a solid sight rib going the length of the gas tube and a simple bead at the end, no rear sight. Mine is a Kalshnikov USA import and this one is in Greece. I wonder how many more there are like ours Jimi....err..I mean hendrix? The only difference in the two are mine has the cylinder bore barrel and is threaded. It came with the old style ported extra full choke.

Thanks for the pics and welcome to the forum. :super:

Edited by Cobra 76 two
Has the barrel been cut shorter then recrowned, Whats the length of it?

No his barrel is actually 24" so I'm sure it has it's original muzzle. It's also got a choke built in.

Thanks Bob, glad to be back.

Edited by Cobra 76 two
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi.

My barrel is not shortened and it is 24'' long (61cm)

I was thinking of cutting the barrel since the limit here is 50cm (i can remove 4'')

but i have second thoughts about it after speaking with Cobra 76 two.

Chris

Edited by hendrix
You can always cut the choked section off and then thread it for the factory chokes.

(provided you have enough barrel length to do so.)

We both probably got the earliest possible version of the gun.

I also suspect that because of proximity to Russia i got an even earlier version.

Chris