saiga 308

I posted this in Tech, but just in case some of you done't go there, but might have had this problem. Got my 308 recently, fired several 100 rnds. Got it out today, fired 2 rnds, bolt and carrier won't move. Bolt carrier is back about 1/2" from the normal position. only moves back and forth about1/4". FCG seems ok. I can pull the hammer back, pull the trigger and it releases. any ideas? Does the bolt ever get out of the proper position and get locked up? Thanks for any help you can give.

No, it's not converted. I've removed the cover and spring, but can't go any farther than that. Can't move the bolt support assembly back far enough to get it off.

Ok, I confess, I am rather new at this. So, BHO?? Bolt something right? (don't laugh :unsure: )

BHO = Bolt hold open (that little tab thing hanging on the right side in the trigger area)

hmm.............. i'm stumped as to your problem. can you post a pic of your rifle with the cover off?

Did the last round discharge and then fail to extract or did it fail to feed properly?

I read your other post and it's not clear if there is an expended cartridge that did not extract or a live round that failed to chamber properly.

If you're not sure at which part of the cycle it became stuck please stop pulling the trigger on the weapon.

Also, before you started firing the weapon did you clean the packing grease out of it? I used a general purpose brush and clp to clear out some of that stuff on the piston and fcg.

When you last fired the weapon did you field strip it and have problems putting it back together? There is a slight cutout on the left and right side of the receiver that the bolt is supposed to slide into before moving forward.

Let us know when you get a chance.

Gunny

It definitely discharged, and didn't extract. I don't think the bolt looks like it's positioned properly. I had a gunsmith look at it with the intention of getting some parts to make it legal for hi-cap mags. He had taken the cover off, removed the bolt assembly etc to look at it. Maybe it didn't go back together correctly. After I got home I took it out to fire a few rounds. 2 shots and that was it. I've previously stripped it down various times, with no problems in reassembling. I have also fired several 100 rnds thru it. How hard is it to take the gas piston off etc, and would that be the way to get the bolt out. I really don't want to mess this up, it really has been a trouble free rifle up to this point. And, yes i have cleaned it thoroughly.

Zebra, I took some closeups of the bolt etc. I'll see if I can post them.

Use a 2/4 and whack the bolt open DO NOT do this with the muzzle pointed anywhere but in a safe direction.

It sounds like maybe the round didn't extract fully and another is jammed behind it.

Have you removed the mag? Can you see into the reciever through the mag opening?

Ok, here's what I found.

Macbeau had a problem with a firing pin retainer walking out.

He pushed it back in and it seemed to correct the issue. The following links has pics, the first two are of the pin sticking out and the second is with it pushed it. Although in his case it only retarded the action, he was under the impression that it would cause the bolt to become stuck.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry116373

OverDaHill had the same exact problem and GOB's solution of whacking the charging handle caused it to come free and he noticed that it was exactly what Macbeau had described (macbeau actually responded with a link to his post).

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...p;hl=stuck+bolt

Hope that helps.

Let us know how you made out.

yeeeehaaaa, me and my saiga are back together. Piece of 2x4 and a hammer. Ammo issue. Wish all problems could be fixed with those two items. Hey, thanks so much, all of you, for your help. I've been "lurking" around here for a while, and learned a lot. This has been one of my favorite sites ever since I found if. Lot's of info etc. Ya'll keep up the good work. :super: