Anyone use old trigger pins for conversion...

I just received my Saiga-12 19" with screw choke barrel. I am planning the PG conversion and I wondered if anyone has enlarged the old trigger pin holes and used a set of ak trigger pins and 'C' clips to hold them in place? Just wondering before I order two to use in my conversion.

TIA...MadDog

Exactly what holes are you talking about "enlarging"?

The Saiga trigger contraption is held in place with RIVETS. Once you drill the heads off one side then drift the rivets out the other side.

The other two pins that are still in the receiver are the same reciever pins that are in every AK. In "normal" AKs these two pins hold in the Fire Control Group. They will hold in your US FCG now.

LB

The old rivet holes near the rear of the receiver. After the conversion is complete, you are left with two holes on each side of the receiver. Some use alum screw posts, some use screws, some weld up and grind down so there are no holes, and some just leave the holes as is. I was wondering about drilling the holes out to accept another set of trigger pins and then using "E" clips to hold the new set of trigger pins in place.

Advantages:

steel pins

you have something to attach the wire 'shepards hook' to hold the trigger/hammer pins in

usage of standard AK parts

Disadvantages:

you have to enlarge the small old rivet holes

you now have two sets of trigger/hammer pins

Just an idea. What does everyone think about this approach?

TIA

Edited by MadDog

As I recall, when I got done with my conversion, I wan't able to put a oin through one of the wholes because the chunk of steel that the PG mounts two was in the way. So I just made a new hole closer to the FCG and put an aluminum post there for the shepherd's hook. I left the two original holes alone, it doesn't bother me having them there.

I thought about cutting a couple of pieces of proper sized all-thread to the exact length of the width of the receiver,then paint the ends of them black. Start sliding them into the holes, and start a couple of nuts on them on the inside, you should also install your shepards hook between the two nuts on the front one. Then center the pieces of all-thread and screw the nuts down against the inside of the receiver. You'll also have to relieve the stock to clear the rear piece of all-thread and nuts. I'm not completely sure that this will work, might be difficult to make it work, but it's an idea. AKATTACK

Shoot, you could just put small screws through the holes and put a nut on them to hold them in place. Then paint the screw heads back...hummm, I might do that to mine. I'm about to paint the unfinished area around the trigger soon anyway.