308 Saiga with 21.+" Barrell for Long Distance

Okay. I tried this on regular board and all I got was grief for saying 'Saiga'.

I have a nice/decent BSA Scope 6-24X40 with 1/8" MOA dialing and Mil-Dot Ill. recticle, and was thinking about this on top of a .308 Saiga for range work out to 250-350 yards. I also have the link for the Scout Scope mounting system to mount it.

Can this be done into a standard person shillouette at those ranges?

Are you sure that the eye relief on the BSA scope will work with a scout style scope mount? Chances are it won't and you'll need a regular side mount. Shooting it to 250-300 yards should be fine as long as you're ok with some 2 to 3 moa groups. At 300 yards that's maybe a 6 to 9in group before any human error. It would probably work fine, but make sure your eye relief is correct for the mount you choose.

I may be wrong, but isn't a scout scope mount going to require at least a 6 inch eye relief? Generally scout scopes are mounted farther out on the barrel instead of over the receiver.

922r is a regulation/law that requires you to have a certain number of US made parts if you build a non sporting firearm. Altering a sporting imported firearm to a non sporting configuration is the same as building a new one as far as the law is concerned. Putting a hi cap mag on a sporting gun such as the saiga is considered altering it to a non sporting configuration.

There are compliance threads aplenty on this site, check them out. The listing of what parts matter is important to understand, so you know what foreign parts matter in the count, vs those that don't. Don't go altering your gun without understanding the law.

A must read:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff

if you get the right ammo you should get 3-4.5" grps at 300yrds. i get 1"@100yrd and figuering x2 size grps per 100yrds so you should be 3" grps at 300yrds ,only if you bother to find what ammo your weapon likes. not sure about your scope. my saiga 308 is off the shelf stock all i got is a 3x9 40mm scope useing factory ammo from walmart.

Edited by Cryptkeeper

You need to replace 4 parts without adding any more listed parts. You will need to relocate the fire control group to the original AK location to use the folder you mention with a pistol grip. I wouldn't recommend trying it without a PG. If it turns out that the surefire mags are a complete US made setup (not sure if they are US made or not), then you would need to replace one other part such as the gas pistion in order to use the hi cap mags. FBMG mags have only one or two US parts (and they are not marked US, though they should have been).

My strong suggestion to you is to take some serious time to figure out what the hell you are doing before you go spending $'s on parts that might make your gun illegal. It is tempting to think you can just order stuff and have it all come together, but replacing the sporter stock will almost always require moving the fire control group (ie trigger stuff) to the original AK forward location.

Take your time and figure it out, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
That is sweet. Add that to my list of things to work with. :)

Wow, I'm Glad S-Noob got to you in time! Much better set-up and now you use std. scopes - I prefer any good 3-9x40 (or 42)...w/ p4 military recticle or mil-dot. Ck out his link to CDNN . That's exacly what I use (after several other trials)